Tube Junkies!

the thermionic watercooler

Postby erichayes » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:18 am

I've posted this link before; it's worth doing again. I don't know if the local ads for grow lights and soil go out on the stream, but the general demeanor of the station is pretty evident from the website. Give a listen to hear "eclectic" redefined.

http://www.khum.com/index.html
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby dhuebert » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:11 am

There used to be a station here in Winnipeg called CKWG that played everything. You might hear Bruce Springstein followed by Frank Sinatra from his jazz era followed by Laurence Welk and then Moonlight Sonata. I loved it, until they went MOR, GAAH! Occasionally I am forced to listen to commercial radio and am continually astonished at how truly awful popular music is these days. Either that or puking up the 70s on "classic rock", if I hear Hotel California one more time...

curmudgeonly yours,

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Postby Slartibartfast » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:34 am

dhuebert wrote:There used to be a station here in Winnipeg called CKWG that played everything. You might hear Bruce Springstein followed by Frank Sinatra from his jazz era followed by Laurence Welk and then Moonlight Sonata. I loved it, until they went MOR, GAAH! Occasionally I am forced to listen to commercial radio and am continually astonished at how truly awful popular music is these days. Either that or puking up the 70s on "classic rock", if I hear Hotel California one more time...

curmudgeonly yours,

Don

Well the new "alternative" music is not that much better, which is why the "classic" hits keep on selling.

The Jazz scene is putting out some great stuff, but sadly, where I live a Jazz station would never stay in business.
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby SDS-PAGE » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:33 pm

What about NPR? Besides their connoisseur taste in jazz after 7:00 pm every night (except when they do acid jazz, yuk!), I do most of catching up with the world affairs on NPR. News on local station is so shallow. Car talk is cool too on Saturdays. Also, wherelse can you hear Ray Charles play with Count Baise but on NPR? Just spiffing!
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby Slartibartfast » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:31 pm

SDS-PAGE wrote:What about NPR? Besides their connoisseur taste in jazz after 7:00 pm every night (except when they do acid jazz, yuk!), I do most of catching up with the world affairs on NPR. News on local station is so shallow. Car talk is cool too on Saturdays. Also, wherelse can you hear Ray Charles play with Count Baise but on NPR? Just spiffing!

When I am near a computer, I get my Jazz from smoothjazz.com. This is available, 24 hours a day, no commercials or news. What I was lamenting, was the lack of an "over the air" jazz staion in my area.
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby SDS-PAGE » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:40 pm

When I am near a computer, I get my Jazz from smoothjazz.com. This is available, 24 hours a day, no commercials or news. What I was lamenting, was the lack of an "over the air" jazz staion in my area.

Try also yehoodi.com. It's for those who not only love to listen to "old school" jazz/blues/big band, but Lindy Hop to it. I am somewhat a picky listener when it comes to jazz and yehoodi is one of few stations that I would actually recommend. It's commercials free as well. Sorry to hear about "the lack of an over the air jazz station" in your area. The NPR program I was talking about is actually a listener supported program put together by Sac State. You're right, it's the people that make the difference.
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Exotic power cords

Postby hilldweller » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:47 pm

TomMcNally wrote:Thanks Mike !

I've been looking for a new power cord for one of my amps ...

I bought this one for $ 5000 (plus shipping)

Are the conductors isloted by an inert gas such as nitrogen? Iv'e seen nitrogen tanks strapped to telephone poles and fed into telephone lines. Whats with that? Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_14
Analog is Real! Experience it!
Digital leads to trans humanism. Not good.
hilldweller
KT88

Postby Geek » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:53 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:The Jazz scene is putting out some great stuff, but sadly, where I live a Jazz station would never stay in business.

One city all Jazz/Smooth Jazz fans should make a pilgrimage to is Seattle Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11

Iv'e seen nitrogen tanks strapped to telephone poles and fed into telephone lines. Whats with that?

It's dry and chases the moisture away. At least that's the reson the double-paned glass window company I worked for once used it between the layers.
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Jazz Lives Here!

Postby hilldweller » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:01 pm

Geek wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:The Jazz scene is putting out some great stuff, but sadly, where I live a Jazz station would never stay in business.

One city all Jazz/Smooth Jazz fans should make a pilgrimage to is Seattle Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11

88.7 FM "The Jazz Station" In St. Louis, MO and Edwarsville Il. WSIE are the call letters. Shows hosted by Ross Jantilly, Leo Cheers,"The man in the red vest", Buddy Marino, Yes He's still kicking! 90 plus years old!
On the campus of Southern Illinois University in Edwardsville Il. All Jazz, Commercial Free. Part of NPR- National Public Radio!

Iv'e seen nitrogen tanks strapped to telephone poles and fed into telephone lines. Whats with that?

It's dry and chases the moisture away. At least that's the reson the double-paned glass window company I worked for once used it between the layers.
Analog is Real! Experience it!
Digital leads to trans humanism. Not good.
hilldweller
KT88

Postby Gingertube » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:26 am

Now thats one serious power cord.

I often wondered about this new fangled electrickity stuff - how does the kerosene get down the string? I always though the strings needed to be fatter.

Cheers,
Ian
Gingertube

Postby erichayes » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:38 am

Strings and kerosene went out with the buggy whip and 6CW4, Ian. Electrophoretically applied Platinum on feral cat gut's where it's at for the 21st century Golden Ear. Insulation is amber-saturated satin to preserve the vintage sound. The only downside is the length--15 meters--to accommodate the bend radius. That amber's quite inflexible, y'know.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby Robert Cham » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:38 pm

Something to ponder. Have any of you all checked out HD Radio? It is sweet!!! Crystal Clear Clarity!!! Where does it all end??]

Speaking as a recording and radio engineer, who knows all about the snake oil involved in HD Radio, If you think HD is great, you need to get your hearing checked out. It's bit rate rteduced radio using lossy compression.

In certain situations, it's better at preventing multipath artifacts from disturbing the listener. It of course has it's own set of artifacts and is not much better than MP3s. All of this won't be apparent on most stations due to the terrible audio processing they use. Find yourself a good station that treats audio well, an admittedly difficult task, and listen to the difference. It won't be subtle, unless they have made an effort to make the two sound alike.

I got into this field because I loved listening to the wonderfully creative people on the radio. Someone ripped off my car radio last week. I won't bother to replace it. I only lieten to radiop on business anymore.
Robert Cham

HDR Just more digitized and compressed garbage...

Postby EWBrown » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:35 am

I've never tried HD radio, I'm too far away from the "major city transmitters" for reliable reception. I figured it was basically MP3 over the air, and the only part I would have found interesting might have been the so-called "extra channel" that some stations carry.

As far as I'm concerned, AM HD radio is a total waste, and it eats up too much bandwidth in the process. WBZ, on 1030 around here, is the big clear channel AM HD broadcaster, and their signal wipes out the spectrum at least 20 KHz to either side of their carrier.

Besides, they're "news talk", so why bother with HD. The same station went "AM stereo" several years back, once again, why bother...

The best sound is still pure analog, there is nothing like a good clean, unprocessed, uncompandored FM signal, and a tube FM tuner to listen.

Some of the nicest audio I've heard is the local classical station WCRB, when they broadcast live BSO concerts, and most of NPR music programming, WGBH FM around here has one of the best quality FM signals I've ever heard.

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Previous

Return to diy hifi