Tube Junkies!

the thermionic watercooler

Tube Junkies!

Postby hilldweller » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:24 pm

What is it with you guys? I love tube audio but, come on, I have seen some of this tube stuff go to extreeme!!! It's like a drug or something, Whats the deal??? I love sonic purity but how far does one have to go to achieve it? For Example Auricap has come out with Teflon Auricaps @ Boo Coo Bucks. WTF!!! I think that Tube audio is great but there seems to be some Fanatics Out There. Too much LSD In the late 60s and Early 70s? Something to ponder. Have any of you all checked out HD Radio? It is sweet!!! Crystal Clear Clarity!!! Where does it all end??? Tubes are good!! Quoting Bob Pletka. But antything can be taken too far. Where is the finality in tube audio? Or is there one? "On The Pursuit Of Sonic Excellence"
I Hope I Didn't Piss Anyone Off While I Was On My SoapBox!!!!
Eager to learn and understand, Please don't beat me. I love tube audio!!!
Analog is Real! Experience it!
Digital leads to trans humanism. Not good.
hilldweller
KT88

Postby Geek » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:39 pm

Hi,

There's a fine and sometimes indefinite line between "audiophile" and "audiophool". This line varies with each one of us.

But, $500 for a wood knob seems downright stupid Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_07

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:32 am

Nah, no piss-offs here... I often "rant" about snake oil and audio-phools...

500 dollar wooden knobs, and don't forget the $400 power cords, etc...

PT Barnum had it nailed.

As we say around here, Cheap, Good, Fast, pick any two.

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Ty_Bower » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:50 am

Can I pick cheap twice if I give up good and fast?
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:51 am

THat's about how I do it..... I prefer cheap (and free)... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_05 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_07

/ed B in NH
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Re: Tube Junkies!

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:04 am

hilldweller wrote:What is it with you guys? I love tube audio but, come on, I have seen some of this tube stuff go to extreeme!!! It's like a drug or something, Whats the deal??? I love sonic purity but how far does one have to go to achieve it? For Example Auricap has come out with Teflon Auricaps @ Boo Coo Bucks. WTF!!! I think that Tube audio is great but there seems to be some Fanatics Out There. Too much LSD In the late 60s and Early 70s? Something to ponder. Have any of you all checked out HD Radio? It is sweet!!! Crystal Clear Clarity!!! Where does it all end??? Tubes are good!! Quoting Bob Pletka. But antything can be taken too far. Where is the finality in tube audio? Or is there one? "On The Pursuit Of Sonic Excellence"
I Hope I Didn't Piss Anyone Off While I Was On My SoapBox!!!!
Eager to learn and understand, Please don't beat me. I love tube audio!!!

HD Radio? Now there is some snake oil. They advertise this crap on AM radio stations, you know psorts talk radio and other talk formats. Who cares if the ESPN annoucers voice is a little clearer?

And FM radio is waste, since the problem lies with the program directors and 99% of stations are playing MP3 files now... No more album stations.
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby mesherm » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:27 pm

One of my personal tip-offs to be wary of snake oil is if the word "quantum" is used anywhere in the item description.
http://www.partsconnexion.com/audiogon_ ... ifiers.htm

But that pales in comparison to the items available at
http://www.machinadynamica.com

These people must also supply the Emporer with new clothes.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Postby TomMcNally » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:49 pm

Thanks Mike !

I've been looking for a new power cord for one of my amps ...

I bought this one for $ 5000 (plus shipping)

TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby Geek » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:02 pm

Ty_Bower wrote:Can I pick cheap twice if I give up good and fast?

As a Dutchman, that gets my vote! Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_01

And FM radio is waste, since the problem lies with the program directors and 99% of stations are playing MP3 files now... No more album stations.

Wife just recently got digital cable for her hobby - TV. I thought "Great! Commercial free Jazz stations!" Yes, they have a few, BUT.... a lot of programming is from crummy bitrate MP3's and the aliasing drives me NUTS!!!!! :o

Though I have heard a number of songs obviously ripped from vinyl - every click, scratch and pop is revealed in digital clarity Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_16

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:02 pm

You should supply one of those power cords with each Darling amp sold on e-bay Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09

And don't forget the clever little clock and the brilliant pebbles.

/ed B in NH
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Re: Tube Junkies!

Postby sorenj07 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:15 pm

hilldweller wrote:things

You might want to sit back and perhaps try to make some type of point or ask a certain question, it was hard to understand what on god's green earth was going on there... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_12
sorenj07
KT88

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:56 pm

Wife just recently got digital cable for her hobby - TV. I thought "Great! Commercial free Jazz stations!" Yes, they have a few, BUT.... a lot of programming is from crummy bitrate MP3's and the aliasing drives me NUTS!!!!! :o

Though I have heard a number of songs obviously ripped from vinyl - every click, scratch and pop is revealed in digital clarity Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_16

Cheers!

What I hate about local stations using the MP3 format, is they only get the popular tunes. So they continue to play the same songs, now it is just from a lesser quality format...
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby mesherm » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:57 pm

I was extremely disappointed in the quality of XM radio.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Postby Geek » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:21 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:What I hate about local stations using the MP3 format, is they only get the popular tunes. So they continue to play the same songs, now it is just from a lesser quality format...

Typical of commercial stations. They play what some moron in a market research company tells them to play.

I prefer Independent or CBC or PBS and just luckout that they usually have a majority format that suits my tastes.
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:58 pm

Geek wrote:Typical of commercial stations. They play what some moron in a market research company tells them to play.

True and a lot of the stations are owned by the same company. Clear Channel Communications comes to mind.

I prefer Independent or CBC or PBS and just luckout that they usually have a majority format that suits my tastes.

PBS is nice when they play music. The trouble is they do not do enough of that. Too much news and talk radio.
Slartibartfast
KT88

Next

Return to diy hifi