AC line filtering

the thermionic watercooler

AC line filtering

Postby Blair » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:35 am

I do not have any significant hum in my system or anything, but I bought these "line filters" from a local surplus shop the other day for $0.99 a piece. I am contemplating making a conditioner box that uses one of these individual circuits for each component. Here is what I'm thinking, but with a master power switch and a 5-6A fuse:

Do you think this topology is okay, and will it do what it is supposed to do? Oh, and the rectangles are caps. I just can't remember the values right now.

Thanks,

Blair
Blair
KT88

Re: AC line filtering

Postby dcriner » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:45 pm

Blair,
What are the round things?

Don't see what possible good this could do - you have no hum? The primary source of hum is the 60-Hz power itself. If you filter that out on the power input to your amp, you have no power.

The drawing you posted is a little ambiguous. You say that the rectangles are caps. But, how are they wired into the circuit? It almost looks like there are caps in series with the 120-V line, which can't be the case.

I wonder what the polarity markings are for. With AC, it's not relevant.

An effective power conditioner is the power supply of your amp. It converts AC to DC. Not sure what else you need. You asked if it would do what it is supposed to do. What is it supposed to do?

You propose a 5-6 amp fuse. What is the current draw of the devices you plan to plug into this?
Doug

deicide67 wrote:I do not have any significant hum in my system or anything, but I bought these "line filters" from a local surplus shop the other day for $0.99 a piece. I am contemplating making a conditioner box that uses one of these individual circuits for each component. Here is what I'm thinking, but with a master power switch and a 5-6A fuse:

Do you think this topology is okay, and will it do what it is supposed to do? Oh, and the rectangles are caps. I just can't remember the values right now.

Thanks,

Blair
Doug Criner
dcriner
KT88

Postby Listens2tubes » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:44 pm

Are you aware of http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/surge.htm ? The Line Filter is an effective project.
Have you tweaked today.?
Listens2tubes

Re: AC line filtering

Postby Blair » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:27 am

Sorry,

I posted this at work. The round things are inductors. Looke like a single ferrite ring with dual inductors. The + / - signs are not indicative of DC, but the two colors of wires. Should have thought of that while drawing the pictures. There are 2 .1uf caps across the two wires (one in front of the inductors and one after) and only 2 .01uf caps that shunt to ground. The other two .01uf caps in the drawing do not exist on the bottom of the circuit. I was working from memory.

Blair
Blair
KT88

Return to diy hifi