Budgie Preamplifier Build

arduino based linestage using 12B4 tubes

Budgie Preamplifier Build

Postby jwhitmor » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:25 pm

I found some 12B4A tubes on Ebay, so I ordered my PCB. The Budgie panel & chassis are as pretty as any crown jewels, but I did not order one yet, because I am not sure if there is any leftover room in the box. All I want to add is my USB DAC board (DAC for .FLAC files). Shannon sells a great phono stage, and I plan to order one as soon as my accountant finishes my taxes (If I have any money left). The phono stage is also very attractive, and so it does not need to fit into the preamp enclosure. I also get a higher W.A.F. if I spend some time woodworking an enclosure. She likes pretty wood.
(y)
If it is not making X-rays, your B+ is too low.
jwhitmor

Re: Budgie Preamplifier Build

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:47 am

Shipping it out today, Jim. By all means post progress pix when you can, and good luck!

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby jwhitmor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:36 am

Could not wait to box my Budgie Pre-amp before trying it. I just had to give it a listen, and play with the cool controls. Worked great, right out of the box, no problems at all, and the music could not sound better. Mouser is still out of black cap buttons, so I used Tom McNally red buttons too. The power indicator was out of my junk parts box, so it ended up gold instead of red, and the display was from a USA seller on Ebay, and came in blue, not red. I may need a resistor for the display backlight. The contrast is good , but it is really bright. The remote learning function is way cool, and it works perfectly.
Shannon Parks really outdid himself with this great design!
High perveance... does that mean my tubes are perverted??? (lol)
Attachments
Budgie_Tube 01.JPG
Budgie_Tube 01.JPG (286.2 KiB) Viewed 9002 times
jwhitmor

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:27 pm

Looking good, Jim! Can you lower the contrast with VR1 on the bottom?

Perveance and perversion must have similar word origins. It doesn't take much voltage to get those 12B4s excited.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby tigrine » Mon May 04, 2015 1:40 pm

My Budgie preamp is done and the sound is very good.

Can you give me more explanation about the " remote learning fonction". How it's work? How can I use it? I'm a newbie with it "Arduino".

I have an Apple remote.

Martin
tigrine

Postby jwhitmor » Mon May 25, 2015 10:53 pm

I think the code is already setup for the Apple remote. There are more instructions here: http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6324
I tried several infrared remotes, and they all worked after running through the "learning mode." The learning mode is self prompting. You get instructions on the LCD screen when you initiate it.
jwhitmor

Postby tigrine » Sun May 31, 2015 1:47 pm

Tks very much! (banana)
With the instructions (viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6324).

It's so easy!
tigrine

Return to budgie preamplifier