Headphone Switch?

a 3W single ended EL84 amp for home, work & school

Headphone Switch?

Postby opa1 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:41 pm

Can a dual throw switch be used to cut off speakers when the headphones are used? Will it hurt the OPT's? What is the best way to splice it into the circuit?
Tenacious Tuber
opa1

Re: Headphone Switch?

Postby Geek » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:37 am

If solid state, yes. If tube, no. It would need to switch-in a dummy load for the amplifier.

Also, you'll want to add a ressitor in series with the headphones whose value depends on the power of the amp and impedance of the phones.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Re: Headphone Switch?

Postby soundbrigade » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:48 am

I and others have had endless arguments with a guy who insists of running his high-Z headphones directly on the speaker OPS of a Musical Angel (EL34 or KT88 - don't remember) and he has suffered from some problems. When pointing out that his stubborness will eventually cause his amp to break, he ignores our warnings (stop) . But, well that's another story. :/

Howevere I ran into an interesting design in the Austrian or Australian (???) amp I am building:

IMG_6871.jpg
IMG_6871.jpg (77.2 KiB) Viewed 5491 times

The componentsin red had to be added to have the automatic switching working correctly.
Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

Return to budgie se