MPC-2 Cable Orientation

a 3W single ended EL84 amp for home, work & school

MPC-2 Cable Orientation

Postby dsound » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:05 pm

I'm having alot of fun building this kit so far. Just had a quick question re: the MPC-2 cable orientation. When I installed the cables I noticed that the Red/White cables differ from the product photos that are posted on other threads. Is my Cable-installation correct or should I be worried? Thanks for any help you can provide :))

Here's a pic of J8 & J9 with the cable installed:
dsound

Re: MPC-2 Cable Orientation

Postby jollyrogr » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:43 pm

I think mine are the same way as yours, but it really doesn't matter - just make sure to follow the wiring diagram and you'll be fine. Ex - J8 pin 1 goes to R+, and J8-4 goes to L+. J9-1 goes to the headphone ring and J9-4 goes to the headphone tip. Shannon really made it pretty simple (y)
jollyrogr

Postby dsound » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:35 am

Thanks! I'll give it a try
dsound

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:59 am

MPC-II cables don't seem to adhere to a standard (i.e. Red on pin 1). In an interconnect world, it won't matter. The right channel doesn't care that the wire is white, and it starts at a Pin 1 and goes to another Pin 1. But with us wiring up amps, the channels can get swapped due to this issue. Fortunately there's some easy fixes.

Red is Right
Here's how Red on Pin 1 cables should look, and hopefully this is the more standard MPC-II cable build. It will need no fix. Note the rotated J1 connector as the silk screen footprint is wrong on the Rev - boards (see the dash by the screw mount beside C1). Make sure you do this, else the feedback from the right channel goes to the left channel and vice versa. It will sound bad.

White is Right
Here's how your White on Pin 1 cables should look (pin 1 designated by triangles on connector, both male and female). There's a couple ways to fix this. Once again note the rotated J1 connector.

Fix #1
The easiest fix is to use a paper clip or Exacto knife on the MPC-II female connectors, bending the little metal tab in slightly and pulling out the crimped socket. Remove both red and white wires and swap them The black ground can stay in either in 2 or 3. Do this to J1, J8 and J9 - you are done.

Fix #2
Skip re-wiring the MPC-II sockets and be sure to remember the White is Right when you solder to the RCAs, Speaker Outputs and Headphone Jack. More of a PITA for an already built amp.

Fix #3
Fix nothing and just know that your channels are swapped. Left is Right and Right is Left.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby dsound » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:31 am

Thanks for the detailed reply! I think I'm going to try to swap the pins (fix #1). Thanks again!
dsound

Return to budgie se