It's alive!

a 3W single ended EL84 amp for home, work & school

Re: It's alive!

Postby MacL » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:31 am

Trying to post photo of Budgie SE build.
Note 12x7x2 chassis from dirtydwagamps very affordable.
Note- used Edcor GXSE15-8-5k OT from failed PTP 6V6 build also used Edcor XPWR013 from project.
No headphone out - add 3.5mm input for smartphone on front - RCA in rear for radio
hard to see -but added blue leds under tube sockets running of heater tap with diodes/cap.
On to st-35 build next...
Attachments
marks photos 335.JPG
Budgie build
marks photos 335.JPG (441.62 KiB) Viewed 6349 times
MacL

Postby fiftyfivefilms » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:00 am

Nice build!...I'm curious how you did the blue LED's?...could you post some close ups?.. I was interested in a Dirtydawg chassis, but when I went to his site it seems he is out of the chassis business due to a fire?...was it something you had hanging around, or is he back in business?
Cheers!
Kirk?
fiftyfivefilms

Postby MacL » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:20 am

WOW.. I just looked at his site...too bad about the fire. I found about Brian S (ddwagamps) on the ax84 site years ago - I have bought a half dozen chassis over the years (most for guitar amps) he had great prices and great service. His standard chassis were very nice and he would customize some options at no extra charge (turn the lip out or add IEC punch). Good thing - I had ordered two chassis a couple months ago.

LEDs- I would buy prewired 3mm 9v blue leds from lighthouseleds which fit nicely in the socket hole. glue in place with a drop of superglue.
I would wire to a little RS PC board with two diodes and a cap which I would feed from the 6.3 heater circuit-pretty simple.
I like how when I switch the amp off how the sound and light fade off! I guess I am easily entertained... it's neat how much power is stored in the filter caps for the sound.
I have tried the flickering LEDs and it really didn't give a effect that I cared for. I am going to add a couple LEDS on the bottom of my next chassis for a glow under my next project.
MacL

Previous

Return to budgie se