Transformer Sets for Eikes

a DIY, modified Mullard 5-20 monoblock design

Transformer Sets for Eikes

Postby leadtower » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:33 pm

Pardon me if this is old news but I just read on the Triodeel site that Uncle Ned has a set of transformers for the Dyna Mk 3 that works well with the Eikes and he has a very good deal if you buy a complete set. Thats for the opt's and the PT.
Now is anyone aware if you can use this set-up for a tube rec Eike?
Thanks.
leadtower

Postby WA4SWJ » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:32 pm

Hi leadtower,

Yes, you can use those transformers with tube rectifiers. I have 3 sets of them in three eiclones that I use for a tube home theater. I do run solid state rectifiers though. However, the power transformer does have a 5 volt winding for a tube rectifier filament. I'm sure they'll work quite well with a tube rectifier as long as you take into account the higher voltage drop.

The output transformer is very nice as well. Sounds great! I have some more on order but haven't received them yet.

Regards,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Re: Transformer Sets for Eikes

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:46 pm

leadtower wrote:Now is anyone aware if you can use this set-up for a tube rec Eike?
Thanks.

No problem at all. You would just:

1) use a tube rectifier like a 5AR4 in standard full wave connections
2) run HT output (rectifier socket pin 8) to J4-7 on the Ike board
3) jumper D1
4) use 400V/100uF type caps at C9 and C10
[eg two Mouser pn# 661-KMH400VN82RM, a 400V/82uF which in series is a 800V/41uF cap]
5) run a jumper wire from rectifier socket pin 6 to J4-6 on the Ike board (this is used for creating the negative bias supply)

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

eike transformers

Postby leadtower » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:30 am

Thanks Guys for the help. I am wondering if the power trans has enough current capacity in total. Would it help if I used a seperate filament supply? I am trying to gather and set-up the parts for the eikes now. Boy; the more I listen to the ST 70 the better it sounds!
leadtower

Return to eiclone