So when's this gem going to hit the market?

a DIY, modified Mullard 5-20 monoblock design

So when's this gem going to hit the market?

Postby nineno » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:42 pm

I guess the subject line says it all, but to be sure:

When is the EL34/6550 pc board going to be finalized and for sale?

I'm not in a position to buy one any time soon (i'd like to finish the other amp first!), but i can't help but be curious.

SOunds like you guys have had some great breainstorming sessions in recent months on this topic.

drew*
nineno

Re: So when's this gem going to hit the market?

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:50 pm

nineno wrote:I guess the subject line says it all, but to be sure:

When is the EL34/6550 pc board going to be finalized and for sale?

Working 'round the clock on this baby. Seriously - ask my wife. :mrgreen:

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby nineno » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:53 pm

At the risk of making you angry Shannon, I have to ask: Are there more iKE boards coming?

I've made project on mouser.com for several slight variations with simple substitutions. Now all I need is a couple of boards.

I've also purused the no-print manual that you posted. Is that for the manual bias, only? Also, what other configurations (besides auto-bias) will the board support? I saw some empty reistor holes (R11, 12, 23, 24, 25, 26, 44, 45), and the resistors noted RxVALUE. Are those just needed for the auto-bias version?

I'm also entertaining the thought of having several sets of aluminum top plates punched out and anodized. Some red, some blue (color coordinated for each channel), perhaps some black or silver (clear). Would people be interested in this?

I haven't figured up what i'd need to charge for them yet, but if people want to suggest a price that would be acceptable, that might help me decided if it's worth pursuing.

I know a lot of people out there struggle with the mechanical fabrication for lack of tools or fabrication experiance, but that happens to be a portion of the process that I'm fairly good at, so perhaps i can provide a universal solution to some people.

drew*
nineno

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:37 am

nineno wrote:At the risk of making you angry Shannon, I have to ask: Are there more iKE boards coming?

Arrrrggghhhhh!!! Just joking. ::wink:

I just sold a pair yesterday. Anyone who wants a pair, just email me. I do need to put these on Ebay, too - probably as a $1 start with no reserve so some deals might be had from this method.

nineno wrote:I've made project on mouser.com for several slight variations with simple substitutions. Now all I need is a couple of boards.

I've also purused the no-print manual that you posted. Is that for the manual bias, only? Also, what other configurations (besides auto-bias) will the board support? I saw some empty reistor holes (R11, 12, 23, 24, 25, 26, 44, 45), and the resistors noted RxVALUE. Are those just needed for the auto-bias version?

There are definitely some unused footprints on the PCB for other versions. Unfortunately, I've semi-abandoned the auto-bias amp for now as the Hammond 1650P (or my brain) isn't up to snuff. The all-around performance is just sooo much better in the fixed bias version (which uses the 1650N - a great piece of iron which is the same price). I spent several weekends banging my head against the wall with the 1650P (6.6K primary). That said, I was able to get decent performance up to 30W with the 1650Ps, so don't let me discourage you too much. My 2 cents: throw an inline fuse on the CT and never worry about fixed bias meltdowns.

nineno wrote:I'm also entertaining the thought of having several sets of aluminum top plates punched out and anodized. Some red, some blue (color coordinated for each channel), perhaps some black or silver (clear). Would people be interested in this?

I haven't figured up what i'd need to charge for them yet, but if people want to suggest a price that would be acceptable, that might help me decided if it's worth pursuing.

I know a lot of people out there struggle with the mechanical fabrication for lack of tools or fabrication experiance, but that happens to be a portion of the process that I'm fairly good at, so perhaps i can provide a universal solution to some people.

drew*

Along with screwing around with a 6B4G version of the Ikes (both fixed and cathode biased, Class AB1 and A respectively), I've also been working on a top plate for the Ikes. Nice thing is you'll sell two - so a 50 pcs order can be sold much quicker. This is the way to go. I would suggest a 8X16 top plate with all the connectors in the top plate - this would make for super fast assembly along with pro results. Folks could make their own bottom enclosure or use a standard 8X16 Hammond box.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to eiclone