OPT's and Powewr trans

a DIY, modified Mullard 5-20 monoblock design

OPT's and Powewr trans

Postby leadtower » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:54 pm

Hi All; I am starting the Eiclone build and after doing ST 35/ST 70 from Shannon I know this is going to be great. Anyone know of custom wound transformers for the Ikes? I have used them in my pre-amp and found them to be well worth the money. Heyboer is the company I bought my power trans from. Any thoughts? I don't know the Heybeor people just wondering about any custom wounds and only have experience with them.
Thanks Guys, J.R.
leadtower

Postby EWBrown » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:57 am

While maybe not strictly "custom wound" transformers, the P782 and A431 from Triode Electronics (see link below), are new USA manufactured "DynaClone transformers for the MarkIII and are perfect for the Eiclone, as well. These are somewhat beefier than the original Dynaco iron, but use the same winding techniques that made the Dyna iron so very good. THis iron, along with some KT88s will really deliver the audio power!

http://store.triodestore.com/dytr.html

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Transformers

Postby leadtower » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:51 am

Thanks for that tip E.W. Are the KT 88's drop in replacements? Have you done any experiments with the PS on your Eiclones. I plan on building mine completely stock according to the Manual but for the future I would be interested in knowing of any changes to the PS that might have resulted in improvements. I believe in overdoing the power supply.
Thanks, J.R.
leadtower

Postby EWBrown » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:29 am

I built mine pretty much stock, with the exception that all the components are on the top (tube socket) side of teh board, except for the terminal strips which are underneath. I used Hammond iron at the time, 375-0-375 V power trannies and 60 watt 4300 ohm OPTs (don't immediately recall the model numbers). The Triode iron will be better quality and capable of a bit more power.

KT88s can replace 6500s directly, I like the ElectroHarmonix ones, which are simply cherry-picked and re-branded Sovteks.

THe PS section is pretty much stock, except I used some Panasonic caps I had on hand which are taller, and somewhat higher capacitance, than the ones specified on the parts list. My boards are the orignal rev which have the "spacing violation" but I got around that by using insulating spacers under the caps.

Right now they reside on some rather funky looking chassis, but I left the trannie and choke wires full length so that they can be rebuilt for beauty at a later date, if I decide to go that far. The chassis are 8.5 X 15" x 3", I placed the power trannie at one end, the OPT at the other end, the board in between, and the choke beneath the chassis. I didn't bother with making them "mirror image" for mechanical layout.

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

The 64k question

Postby leadtower » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:34 pm

Thanks EW; so, anyone tried tube rec. on the clones? Also; I seem to remmember someone posting concerning the 6w6 tube as a driver or output tube; is that true or is my memory off again?
Thanks J.R.
leadtower

Re: Transformers

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:59 am

leadtower wrote:I believe in overdoing the power supply.

Hi Leadtower,

This is one of the big benefits of doing a monoblock design. Doing a stereo KT88 amp would require a really stout - and heavy - power supply setup. I would suggest a good choke as the best upgrade to the power supply.

That said, these PP amps that have input stages with high PSRR do an excellent job of ripple rejection. I've yet to see a push-pull power amp with noise problems from the power supply or AC filaments.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Marshman » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:03 pm

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of using the dynaclone P782S PT and the A431S OT in my eiclones with KT88's. Will I have to bump up the voltage rating on the PS caps or wattages on any of the resistors doing this?

Any caveats to running a higher B+ like this?

Thanks!

Marshman
Marshman

Postby erichayes » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:18 pm

Hi All,

If any of you out there want to compete with my level of insanity and have entirely too much disposable income on your hands, I'm going to be receiving a small lot of the power and output transformers I use in my stereo version of the Eiclone. This is one of the amps Bud Wyatt and I are evolutionizing, but the iron, at this stage, remains the same.

The power tranny is rated for continuous commercial service (CCS) and MUST be used with a choke-input filter network. It's rated at 1050 VCT @0.4A, 60V @ 0.1A and 6.3V @ 9A. It weighs 12 lbs and runs at 105°C when the amp is putting out 65WPC continuous after 30 minutes. Price for forum folks is US $153.00 plus shipping (I use FedEx). The choke I use is 10 H @ 400 mA, and is the size of a Dyna PA774; it's US $40.00 + shipping.

The output transformers are actual clones of the second series HF-89 amplifiers (the first series used a transformer that had an even weirder secondary than the second). I actually sacrificed an original Eico tranny for the cause, and my winder took 55(!) pages of notes on its construction. David Hafler might have received a patent for his winding technique for Acrosound and Dynaco, but the Eico iron was pretty far out, too. 16 different gauges of wire in the primary, f'rinstance. These guys also weigh 12 lbs and are the same physical size as the PT. Price is US $171.00 + shipping.

Lead time is 4 weeks. I have 5 sets on order, but can piggyback more for the next week or so. If anyone's interested, pmail me through the forum's mail system.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby rmyauck » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:10 am

Sorry to hear about Eric!

Does anyone know who his transformer winder was as HF-89 cloned OPT's which I bet will be really nice?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Randy
rmyauck

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:17 am

The #1 factor I would look for is size. The lams on the HF89 outputs were HUGE. My memory thinks around 3". And I'd make sure it weighed at least 12 pounds. That HF89 hurt my back to lift it.

As far as a clone, I am sure the winder was Transendar. They still have Eric's notes and will wind these, I would bet. He still had the notes on the Z565 outputs, for instance, that Eric used on his TAL1773 and offered to build me some within the last year.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby rmyauck » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:48 pm

Great1 Thanks very much for that info Shannon!

Regards,

Randy
rmyauck

Return to eiclone