Prototype Audition

a DIY, modified Mullard 5-20 monoblock design

Prototype Audition

Postby Thermion » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:27 pm

Shannon’s Eiclone project is very exciting. I have wanted to build (or rebuild) an HF-87 since listening to one and comparing it to a modified ST70 several years ago. The HF-87 is one of the sweetest sounding vintage tube amplifiers that I have ever heard. The octal 6SN7 phase splitter has a lot to do with the sound.

Living in close proximity to Shannon has its advantages. He recently offered to let me borrow his prototype Eiclone amplifiers and try them out for a few days. Sort of a real world test to see how they perform “outside the lab”. Of course, I jumped at the chance. :multi:

Here are some of my initial observations. Overall these amps sound great. The highs are smooth and liquid. The bass is deep and tight. They are very detailed. Everything that you would expect from a quality tube amplifier. A pair of these could easily replace the Dynaco MKIII’s in my stereo.

Right now they have a set of Reflector EL34’s, but I am planning to try some others over the next few days. Will keep you updated on the progress. Looking forward to building a pair of these, and experimenting with upgraded parts.

FWIW, I am using the Eiclone prototypes to drive a pair of Apogee Centaur loudspeakers. These are a hybrid ribbon midrange/tweeter, dynamic woofer speaker. Overall they present about a 3 ohm load and have a sensitivity around 83 db. So far the Eiclones have had plenty of power driving these.

JT
Thermion

Return to eiclone