Anyone compared an Ike to a real Eico ST70?

a DIY, modified Mullard 5-20 monoblock design

Anyone compared an Ike to a real Eico ST70?

Postby Francois_G » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:39 pm

Which brand and model of OTs did you use in your Ike? What did you hear? What did you measure? Were you able to compare it to a "real" Eico ST 70?

I think it would be really interesting to hear your impressions before we do a comparrison. We being Shannon, Thermion and myself, possibly with a Golden-eared friend for the subjective side.

A long time ago, before the genesis of the Eiclone board, Shannon did some measurements on my original Eico ST70 and to my dismay Shannon's measurements indicated that I had a serious problem in the old caps. That problem was solved and I have happily live with the NOS Eico since. But we never took the time to compare after Shannon's Eiclones populated the Diytube world.

However, if I could talk Shannon and Thermion into it, and I think I have, we will be listening and comparing (and perhaps doing some measurements) on my old Eico and Thermion's Ike 'pride and joy'. We will be listening to my recently complete Elsinore Mk V (ask your Dr. Google about it) and I will honestly report back.

Help us set some baseline consensus to prove or disprove in listening and measuring.

Let's have some fun,
Francois
Francois_G

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:42 am

Francois, you have an Eico ST70? LOL - it's been so long I'd even forgot that. Anyhow, the Eico ST70 is a 7591-based amp and is really a special breed. Those high transconductance power tubes are like super EL84s and have a bit of magic. Meanwhile the Ikes are based on a 1/2 an Eico HF89 using EL34s or KT88s, and are a different animal. FWIW, the voltage gain and phase splitter of the HF87, HF89 and ST70 all look the same.

http://www.acousticpsychos.com/Files/eico.htm

Looking forward to trying it all out on the Elsinores! Really want to try out the Budgie SE, too. And 28 days until the Peoria Superfest. I think I'll pay an extra $5 for a vendor lot so we can park in the middle of the action!

Shannon
Last edited by Shannon Parks on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby WA4SWJ » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:49 am

Guys,

I have both. I have an original, unmodified Eico ST-70 that I have never even powered up mostly because I was too busy building amps for so long. I also have Ikes that I use as the rear channel amps for my home theater. I haven't measured any of them mostly due to time. Although I did some scope checks on my ST-35 that are posted here on the site somewhere back in the archives.

I would eventually like to bring the ST-70 up to the latest mods that are published out on the web in a few spots. Not sure about measuring it but I probably should do a before and after check when I get up the desire to modify it.

I'd be interested in what you come up with. BTW I also have an Eico tuner - forgot the model number though. I can check when I get home.

Regards,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Postby Francois_G » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:45 am

Shannon,

I thought I'd stir things up a bit. Especially since Thermion is so much in love with his Ike on 1625-steroids.

Shall we make it more fair and compare my old HF87 with your younger Ike brood?

Warm regards,
Francois
Francois_G

Postby Francois_G » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:53 am

separks wrote: ...28 days until the Peoria Superfest. I think I'll pay an extra $5 for a vendor lot so we can park in the middle of the action!

Shannon

Brilliant, Shannon! diytube should be out there at the Superfest - not LOL. I'll be happy to conribute to the cost -LOL

Francois
Francois_G

Return to eiclone