A new pair of Ike's

a DIY, modified Mullard 5-20 monoblock design

A new pair of Ike's

Postby Toobgeek » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:35 am

Until last evening, I had never heard an all-tube stereo system. I’ve been listening to the same integrated Denon amp for the last 25 years. When that amp started to audibly show its age, I decided to put my guitar amp-building skills to an audio application. After a lot of net-surfing research, I settled on a pair of Eiclones with a Grounded Grid preamp. The Eiclone topology was pretty straight-forward and most guitar amp-like that I could find. I got the Eiclones finished last week and the only way I could hear them was to run the signal through a guitar preamp. Last evening, I finished up the grounded-grid and was able to play the whole system. I am just stunned by the sound. It’s just phenomenal. Because I still have a good bit of cosmetic work yet to do, I’ve only played them through old polk audio bookshelf speakers in my shop. I can’t imagine this system through the Klipsch 5.5’s. I am so pumped!!!!! I didn’t have any experience with circuit boards so everything is point-to-to point. There was initially some noise in the preamp, but re-routing two signal wires took care of it.
Toobgeek

Tubed UP!

Postby msmpe » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:58 pm

Good show, TG! [:)

Let us see'em when you get them finished. Try 'em with a passive pre.
8>) Mike

If there's no sound in a vacuum, where'd the music come from?
msmpe
KT88

Return to eiclone