Balanced Input for an EI Clone

a DIY, modified Mullard 5-20 monoblock design

Balanced Input for an EI Clone

Postby nineno » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:34 pm

Hey guys I'm still preparing to build up my Ike and working out all of the little items I'd like to incorperate in it.

I have a boot strap logic that I'd like to use for the Off/Warm/On circuit and I'm working out the details for a unique, tasteful, and nice chassis. However, since the amps are mono blocks I'd like to have them sit sort of close to the speakers, mostly for presentation.

In pursuit of that idea I'd need to run longer line-level wires to the ampifier. As my stereo sits right now I'd have to run a cable about 6 feet from the preamplifier to the amplifier if the amp sat near the speakers. Now, 6 feet really isn't that long, but its an order of magnitude greater than the 14 inches the RCA cables currently are. With that in mind I wondered if it would be useful or worth while to incorperate a balanced input in my amplifier. I have a lot of pro-audio gear (CD players, etc) that use the XLR style balanced interconnects so a source isn't a problem. However, it's my understanding that XLR signals are much higher levels (+/- 5V) than RCA levels (+/- 2V) so I'd have so consider all of that.

So, are balanced interconnects worth incorperating? Or is it overkill and prefunctionary?

If it is worthwhile, does anyone one of a nice eliquent way to incorperate a balanced (XLR) to unbalanced (RCA)?

I've dismantled a lot of audio gear in my life and some of the nicest old stuff had some really great balancing transformers inside of it. Essentially there was a center tapped winding on one side that had twice the turns of the non-center tapped winding on the other side. Some of these transformers were rated upwards of 36,000Hz and down to about 12Hz.

Anyone know of a source for these? I think Sescom (http://www.sescom.com) has them for around $60 each, but other sources and some application support would be nice too.

Thanks all. Your input, comments, and suggestions are always appriciated.

drew*
nineno

Balanced I/C's

Postby gogzhad » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:34 pm

Seems to me I read (might be in Bruce Rosenblitz' excellent "Audio Reality") that for short runs, balanced I/C's are overkill.
tu be or not tu be
gogzhad

Postby nineno » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:32 pm

Yea, I'd be inclined to agree. I guess i just don't know the break between short and long runs.

I can ensure that the signal won't be met with any noise that the common mode rejection aspects of a balanced signal would help with...but 6 to 10 feet seems like it might be on the fringe of a run that might benifit from a balanced (or just hotter) signal...but perhaps not.

Thanks for the input.

drew*
nineno

Return to eiclone