Shannon, more details on the 6B4G eiclone please?

a DIY, modified Mullard 5-20 monoblock design

Shannon, more details on the 6B4G eiclone please?

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:10 pm

Hi Shannon,

I have noticed that you have referenced in a few post here that you have been experimenting with a 6B4G version of the eiclone.

I would love to have more details or progress of this variant, will it become a reality offered to the public in the near future?

Thanks

Norris Wilson

Re: Shannon, more details on the 6B4G eiclone please?

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:33 am

Anonymous wrote:Hi Shannon,

I have noticed that you have referenced in a few post here that you have been experimenting with a 6B4G version of the eiclone.

I would love to have more details or progress of this variant, will it become a reality offered to the public in the near future?

Thanks

Norris Wilson

Hi Norris,

Earlier this year I built a couple prototypes on the Ike board. One was a cathode biased version using a Hammond 270HX and Z565 (sound familiar?). I was using the open bracket 4H Hammond as input choke, with a small tuning input cap to give me a B+ around 320V. The neat thing with this arrangement, is that with a different 'tuning cap' we can use a tube rectifier like the 5AR4. The rest of the unit was basically like the Ike, except tweaks everywhere for the negative feedback and DHT filaments.

The neat thing now is that I've put a spot for the National Semi LM334 on the board, which makes a fixed bias version feasible. The grid resistors on the 2A3/6B4 are supposed to be 50K in fixed bias arrangements (though I think you can get away with 100K per some of the old schematics I've seen). The CCS allows us to get adequate drive in fixed bias, which is difficult otherwise, at least with the Ike topology.

I have a couple chassis in the shop right now (err, I'll get those drawings to you asap, Bottlehead). I'm hoping to have these be my official pair to use for releasing the finalized cathode biased design. Realistically, my goal is by the end of '04. I've got a couple projects almost done around here I must finish first. But anyone dying to tackle this project now, just drop me a line. I'll give some pointers.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Shannon thanks for the update!

Postby Norris » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:51 pm

Thank you Shannon for the update on the DHT 6B4G using the eiclone boards.

I am very interested in the outcome of your experimentation using the 6B4G.

I also appreciate all that you do to make this a fun and successful hobby by offering variety and new amplifier posibilities using your circuit boards.

I unfortunetly do not have a great deal of experience in building audio amplifier or electronics in general, so I will need your completed circuit information to insure that I narrow the possibilities of making costly mistakes.

I am patient and will be waiting for you to complete your experimentation, no hurray at all.

I wonder if the use of 2A3's with your circuit would give more choices of output tube brands and quality? I have seen a few newer versions of the single plate 2A3 hit the maket recently, the EH single plate gold grid 2A3 and the Chinese Audio Art single plate.

If you have any feedback on these or other quality 2A3 tubes that do not cost a mint, I would love to learn about them.

Thanks

Norris Wilson
Norris

Postby Francois_G » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:13 am

[quote]I have a couple chassis in the shop right now (err, I'll get those drawings to you asap, Bottlehead). I'm hoping to have these be my official pair to use for releasing the finalized cathode biased design. Realistically, my goal is by the end of '04. I've got a couple projects almost done around here I must finish first. But anyone dying to tackle this project now, just drop me a line. I'll give some pointers.

Shannon[/quote]

Eh, Shannon,

It's the end of '04. What's up with the 6B4G eiclone? ;-)

Francois
Francois_G

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:09 pm

Francois_G wrote:Eh, Shannon,

It's the end of '04. What's up with the 6B4G eiclone? ;-)

Francois

You rascal, Dr G! 8^)

You think I've done nothing, but I actually have it on my test bench right now. Sure, I'm a slow poke - but toobin' is a lot like wine making. I'll post some data and maybe a schematic in a bit.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Here's something for you, Dr G

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:44 am

Here's some 6B4 Ike data. I'll throw up a schematic ASAP. I'm also going to retest with a Z565. BTW, the A490 looks to be a deluxe ST35 output.

http://www.diytube.com/6B4IKE.pdf

One more thing. I just started to edit the schematic to post it, and realized that with either the cathode biased or the fixed biased versions that the LM334Z current sink mod needs to be in place (due to the lower B+ for the LTP). Indeed, I was using it during the above testing.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

schematic

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:52 am

6B4 Ike Schematic

95% accurate, anyway. I see I left R41 and R42 in there by accident.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

LTP

Postby dhuebert » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:36 am

I am amazed at the simplicity of the phase splitter, considering what you read @ http://www.aikenamps.com/ Designing long-tail pairs - the load line approach , almost too simple!

Comments?

Don[/quote]
dhuebert
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:52 pm

I wonder how well some 300Bs would work with this? The cathode resistors would have to be changed, probably about 410 ohms from the 333 for the 6B4Gs and 2A3s. 5V for teh filaments (a good use for some of those 5V, 3A linear power supplies I have laying around, perhaps).

I'm not talking about WE 300Bs here, (only wishing for them...) just some Svvtex/EH, JJs, or ValveFarts, perhaps

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:21 pm

EWBrown wrote:I wonder how well some 300Bs would work with this? The cathode resistors would have to be changed, probably about 410 ohms from the 333 for the 6B4Gs and 2A3s. 5V for teh filaments (a good use for some of those 5V, 3A linear power supplies I have laying around, perhaps).

I'm not talking about WE 300Bs here, (only wishing for them...) just some Svvtex/EH, JJs, or ValveFarts, perhaps

/ed B in NH

Actually, Ed, I think I'd like to make an Ike board with the power tube half cut off - like Pete Millett's - but for a stereo SE amp. I'd be tempted with the 211s and 845s before the 300B. Too much moolah! Even the Shuguangs.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

6A5G?

Postby EWBrown » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:25 pm

Looks like the 6A5G might also work here, looks to be a 6B4G with an indirectly heated cathode, which is connected to pin 8 - along with the heater CT. Same pins for grid, plate, heater as 6B4G, so it should be plug'n'play compatible with Ike.

/ed B in NH

http://hereford.ampr.org/cgi-bin/tube?tube=6A5G
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Re: 6A5G?

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:23 am

EWBrown wrote:Looks like the 6A5G might also work here, looks to be a 6B4G with an indirectly heated cathode, which is connected to pin 8 - along with the heater CT. Same pins for grid, plate, heater as 6B4G, so it should be plug'n'play compatible with Ike.

/ed B in NH

http://hereford.ampr.org/cgi-bin/tube?tube=6A5G

Hi Ed,

Do you have a cheap source for these? Sounds interesting!

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Searching....

Postby EWBrown » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:36 am

So far I haven't located any 6A5Gs yet. I'll be busily searching during the upcoming flea markets and swapmeets. THis one doesn't seem all that well known, so hopefully the available prices reflect this anonymity...

/ed
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby TerrySmith » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:14 am

Anyone seen the 6B4G (6C4C) old stock Svetlana "C" brand? NOS domestic brands are getting expensive, so I was wondering if these would be a good sub.
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Next

Return to eiclone