Shannon, more details on the 6B4G eiclone please?

a DIY, modified Mullard 5-20 monoblock design

B-29 / TU-4 and Russiam made copies of US tubes.

Postby EWBrown » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:11 am

THere is a program that occasionally appears on History Channel about how the Russians copied the B-29 after WWII, from four B-29s that were landed in or near Vladivostok, after having made "deliveries" over Japan.

Stalin ruled that these B-29s must be duplicated "exactly" in every minor detail - including the radio and electronics, and this involved copying US made and designed tubes. The Russians even had a couple of nicknames for the B-29s, "Dar Bozhie" which meant "gift from God" and "the brick bomber" because it was copied "brick by brick" in their terminology.

So, here we are 60 years later, enjoying the unintended audio benefits of this "reverse engineering" project in Russia.

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

6B4G

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:20 am

TerrySmith wrote:Anyone seen the 6B4G (6C4C) old stock Svetlana "C" brand? NOS domestic brands are getting expensive, so I was wondering if these would be a good sub.

Hi Terry,

There seems to be a supply of these out there, but I would stick to the new Sovtek 6B4G. The 6C4C is series twin plates (like the old 6B4Gs), but the 'deals' I find on them usually are regarding unmatched tubes from wildly different lots. If they were NOS, matched and cheaper than the Sovteks I would give them a shot for sure. But keep the operation within the original specs.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby TerrySmith » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:35 am

Thanks for the heads up, the Sovtek looks like a nice tube! Kinda looks like 300B innards. Anyone know a good supplier for these? They seem hard to come by.
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

6B4G

Postby miker » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:44 am

Try http://www.tubedepot.com
I've bought tubes from them with good success.
miker

Postby EWBrown » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:57 am

The "Winged C" 6C4C is available at The Tube Store, and they link a 6C4C data sheet (PDF) This one appears to be a Bi-Plate, but there are also "Sovtek" (generic) monoplate designs out there.

http://www.thetubestore.com/russian6c4c.html

I'd SWAG that the Russian 6A3 is the 6B4G with a 4 pin base, instead of octal.

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Previous

Return to eiclone