dig. volt meter

a DIY, modified Mullard 5-20 monoblock design

Re: auricaps

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:25 am

audioray wrote:of all the photos i have seen of the eiclones no one uses the auricaps.
is it because of cost or no sonic advantage.

Hi Ray,

As far as cost-to-quality ratio goes, I would first spend money on higher quality interconnects, sockets (if available?) and teflon wire. This insures a quality appearance and performance from the get-go and for years to come. My 2 cents.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby erichayes » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:00 am

Hi All,

Historical note:

Back in the early days, when the only type of coupling cap available was made with waxed paper as the dielectric, the manufacturers identified the lead going to the outermost foil layer. This lead was to be connected to the grid side of the circuit, as the grid was closest to ground potential. The dielectric strength of the waxed paper was so crappy that the outer foil would arc to the chassis if it were connected to the B+ (plate) side of the circuit.

In the 50s, Leo Fender and his engineers decided that the new plastic enclosed caps had enough dielectric strength to withstand the outer foil having B+ on it, and reasoned that it would provide nominal shielding to the inner foil (even though it was 'way above ground potential).

I've hooked coupling caps up both ways and couldn't hear the difference. I suggest you do the same just for your own peace of mind.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:30 am

i found a place to make a meter o to 1volt.
it is a triplitt meter #120g- 0 to 1volt. 1.750 sq. perfect fit
price is a problem. $67.00. ea.
Cal-tek calibrown inst.
1 800 225 4678
no. billrica mass.

Postby EWBrown » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:47 am

These small panel digital voltmeters are also available at places like Jameco, Digi-Key, All-Electronics, Marlin P Jones, etc, for fairly low prices.
Some require their own separate 5 to 9 voltDC source, either a battery or using the 5V rectifier filament winding, rectified, filtered and regulated, would be suitable. LED and LCD models are available.

The place mentioned in the previous post isn't very far from where I work, and they do some of our lab test equipment calibration.

/ed b in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

meter

Postby audioray. » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:14 am

ed
i have seen a small didgital meter from hosfelt 7 to 12 volt powered.
pm-129 a.
my son lives on whipple rd. tewsk. ma.
im in cambridge.
audioray.

ma. meter

Postby audioray » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:35 am

I found a perfect 0 to 100 Ma. meter for my Iclone project.
CALRAD #60- 160 dc 1.750 sq. YOU DO IT ELECTRONIC CENTER
NEEDHAM MASS.
1 781-449-1005
audioray

Previous

Return to eiclone