A Vote for Change?

a DIY, modified Mullard 5-20 monoblock design

A Vote for Change?

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:10 am

I'm still fooling around with the Ike 'revision'. I'm brainstorming about the Antek toroid 100W outputs - anyone use them? It would require using a non-ultralinear design. I like UL because I get great performance, but using the toroids could have their own benefits: greater efficiency and bandwidth. Not sure what the distortion would look like, though. I get 1%THD @ 1kHz at 60W with the Ikes now, and I'd hate to see that get worse, but if it was flatter across the frequency band it could be worth it. For instance, it could perform much better at 20Hz at full output. Any thoughts? Anyone ever pleased with a 50W+ pentode amp? Otherwise, I would look at the Edcor outputs, but I'm assuming the will be a step down from the fantastic (and now expensive) Hammond 1650Ns.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby WA4SWJ » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:04 am

Shannon,

Remember this one?

http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2792

It is still one of my best sounding amps and uses Amplimo toroids. I still have not tried it in pentode mode. Maybe someday I'll try that, but for right now it's fine the way it is.

I haven't checked the Amplimo site recently so I don't know if they offer a larger transformer that would work for a higher power Ike.

Looking forward to seeing the new Ike design. The "old" one is a great amp. I still use mine in my home theater. They rock. Might be nice to think about some of those auto-balancing bias techniques for use with toroid output transformers. I think Tent labs makes one, but I have not tried it or even looked at it in detail. Maybe borrow some ideas ........

CUL,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:14 am

The 'new' Ike will most likely just be a new design using the Rev A boards. Thinking a 4U chassis with toroid power transformer and dual mono boards. :))
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby EWBrown » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:26 am

Blair has a pair of the Antek 100 watters on pre-bay here:

http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3160

HTH

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Blair » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:16 am

One day too late though. Just sold them yesterday to a guy here on the board.

Thanks for trying to help me sell them Ed!

Blair
Blair
KT88

Postby Blair » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:24 am

The only reason I did not use John's tranny is that I found a pair of Hammond 1650W opts for $250 shipped (love)

It was amazing, and they sound that way too!!

John's new output trannys look great even if they only fall within 10% of specs.

Blair
Blair
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:15 am

FWIW I have a pair of the 20 watt, 10K CT Antek OPTs for a future project (after the move gets done). Stay tuned...

These have a really high primary DCR, about 840 ohms per side of the CT, or 1680 ohms total. At least they should have "LOTSA" primary inductance.

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to eiclone