Blown diodes on Ike startup

a DIY, modified Mullard 5-20 monoblock design

Blown diodes on Ike startup

Postby muschy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:19 pm

I've just finished a pair of Ikes, and I've done some extensive reading on the Ike section of the forum. I thought I was prepared to start them up. Both the left and right channels checked out no problem, all resistances, voltages, etc. I biased the amps as it states in the manual. But when I went to fire them up, the left channel worked great, and the right channel roasted both the main fuse and the 1/2 amp centre tap fuse right off the bat.

Some investigation found that both D1 and D2 were blown. I'm going to replace them tomorrow and fire it back up, but is there something deeper that I should be looking for? Something easily overlooked?

Maybe it's just a hiccup.

If anyone has any insight that they could provide, I'd really appreciate it. I'll keep this thread updated with the latest goings-on.

That being said, the one working Ike sounds amazing. Can't wait to get both going.
muschy

Postby muschy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:19 pm

Got the diodes replaced.

Odds are I overheated one when soldering. Regardless, both amps are working great now, and I'm very happy with them.

Only took me 3 months to complete them, argh. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_21

I'll post some pics very soon. Currently I'm using some EH EL34's that I got on sale at AES, and just tried the 6L6GC's out of my Mesa guitar amp, and they're sounding pretty sweet too. Cheaped-out on the 6SN7 and 12AX7 though, JJ 12AX7 and a Chinese 6SN7. Just wanted to get the amps up and running. Now we'll worry about getting some decent tubes in there.
muschy

Return to eiclone