Meathead who needs help in New england

a DIY, modified Mullard 5-20 monoblock design

Meathead who needs help in New england

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:54 pm

I am new to tube building (but not completely new to tubes, own a counterpoint SA-5000 and a slew of Counterpoint amps over the years) and I don't have a great deal of experience. I just bought a pair of IKE's on ebay and am looking for someone in New England (I am in Norwood MA.) who can smack me in the back of the head if I am doing something stupid :evil: ! I do have a general knowledge of electronics, but "general" is the key word (I am smart enough to know not to touch the leads of a capacitor). To sum up, I just need someone close by who I can bounce ideas and questions off of.
Thanks,
David (meathead)
Davesmonkeys@cs.com

Postby erichayes » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:05 pm

Hi All,

Dave, the beauty of the DIYtube forum is that we already are neighbors. I'm about as far away from you as I can be and still be in the lower 48, but I'll be happy to offer any assistance you might need. Shannon is a little bit closer, like half a continent, and he designed the thing--you can't get a better source of information than that. Ed Brown's in New Hampshire and, although I've never conversed with him other than by email, I believe he's the right coast equivalent of myself--and I hold myself in fairly high regard. There are others too numerous to mention who contribute ideas, successes, failures and anecdotes that make this the most enjoyable forum I've ever participated in. There are no egos or pissing contests. I've been involved with tube audio for 45 years, professionally since 1974, and I can't tell you how many times I've muttered "I'll be damned" after reading some of the experiences of the members with their newly constructed treasures.

I urge you to take an afternoon (as I did when I joined the forum), go to the various topics and threads, and steep yourself in all that's going on here. You'll have a ball.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Paging Ed Brown...paging Mr. Ed Brown...

Postby gogzhad » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:27 am

Duuuuuuuuude...
If memory serves, tube guru Ed Brown is a New Englander and the guy has forgotten more than most of us know about tube gear...
Of course, I've forgotten more than I know about tube gear...
Anyway, Ed's got to be the New England connection
tu be or not tu be
gogzhad

SW NH

Postby EWBrown » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:40 am

I'm located in Greenville NH, about 60 or more miles NW of Boston, so I'm probably about as close by as anyone here.

feel free to PM or e-mail me, I'll try to be of assistance here.

/ed brown
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to eiclone