Vote for Ike in 2008

a DIY, modified Mullard 5-20 monoblock design

Postby audiog » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:36 am

Hello Separks.
I experimented that the 6sl7 and the 6sn7 are dark sounding tubes, so I would suggest to use in LTP a 9pin socket to use 6CG7-6FQ7 and to experiment tubes as ECC99, 12BH7, for the same reason in the first stage we could use a classic ECC83 and not the old 6sl7.
What do you thing about?
Thank's, Giuseppe.
audiog

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:43 am

audiog wrote:I experimented that the 6sl7 and the 6sn7 are dark sounding tubes, so I would suggest to use in LTP a 9pin socket to use 6CG7-6FQ7 and to experiment tubes as ECC99, 12BH7, for the same reason in the first stage we could use a classic ECC83 and not the old 6sl7.
What do you thing about?
Thank's, Giuseppe.

Hi Giuseppe,

I had a dual socket footprint on the previous Eiclone, that would use a ECC83 or 6SL7. But I think I will sway towards full octal on this layout: for simplicity but also as something different. Luckily, the Poseidon board can do you are asking already, and can do the 6CG7-types as the LTP with a cut & jumper. Best of both worlds, I say!
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Wheew!

Postby leadtower » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:56 pm

You scared me with that talk about abandoning the Ike boards. I have the originals; please make them adaptable to the new iteration; I need two monoblocks with 50 watts for my Bozak Rhapsodies. My prayers are answered. Why not investigate a custom wound trans?
I think there are some Ike fans out there.
leadtower

Postby 77seriesIII » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:48 pm

Shannon,

So how goes the revision? Are we looking at this for '08 fall/winter project deployment schedule? Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_05

Erick
77seriesIII

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:37 am

Erick - I am chomping at the bit on this one. Just got a new PC with Vista (I know folks - I'm an XP/IT guy, too) and all my old layout software is working on it. After I finish moving files over, the Ike will be on the front burner. Should be easy.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby 77seriesIII » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:12 am

w00t!
77seriesIII

Postby muschy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:25 pm

Looking forward to this!!
muschy

Ike rev C??

Postby msmpe » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:06 pm

Hi Shannon, Guys:

So what happened in August to stop the goings on, or dare I ask? My pick for the big PP is Ike. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08 Is it still in the works?

Msmpe
If there's no sound in a vacuum, where'd the music come from?
msmpe
KT88

PP GSGs ?

Postby EWBrown » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:54 am

I recently obtained a pair of Ike Rev B boards, as part of a trade with Gary Kaufnan, along with most of the necessary components.

Are there any new circuit tricks or mods that would be appropriate, before I begin? I have copied out the latest manual, but then it's a few years old...

I have most of the PC board parrts on hand ( in NH, not NC) and as I still have my early Rev A Ikes up here too, so I can swap in the new boards when they are completed.

Then I'll dedicate the original Rev As to a 6B4G PP design, using lower B+ voltages.

Speaking of PP 6B4G amps, I worked out an easy mod to make PP 6B4G monoblocks out of the GSG boards.

Since I won't be able to actually test this in an operating system for several months, I won't get too specific with the details , other than saying it involves changing the two VA stages to a "floating paraphase" design, and changing R2, R9 and R10 from 470K to 220K, and connecting the "cold" ends of R9 and R10 to the "left" channel input, R2.

The 6SL7 plate resistors can remain as 270K, or be lowered to 220K, as in the original 1949 circuit, either should work just fine.

What this does is take the "ground" end of the 6B4G grid resistors, and connect them to the "top" end of the left channel's 220K grid resistor. Since the audio signal does not have to pass through the VA cathodes as in an LTPI, they can remain bypassed, and using the original circuit values.

For "economy" the 6SL7 cathodes could be connected together, and then a single 1500 ohm cathode resistor and one bypass cap could be used, thus saving the cost of one resistor and capacitor - but then it's not really worth much of a cost difference Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08

The "floating paraphase" is an early "self balancing" phase splitter that appeared in the late 1940s, but seems to have fallen out of common usage today.

So far, this idea exists only in my mind (until now) and on paper...

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:35 am

Wow, Ed! Converting the GSG to PP hadn't even occurred to me, and now it seems obvious. I'll look that over today. Cool!

I just looked over the Eiclone BOM this past weekend and everything is still in stock (most importantly the electrolytics). I think you can proceed with that last build info. There are a couple tricks for lower noise, but I'm not sure if I documented them other than what's actually been done to my Rev B test Ike. I'll look at it this weekend. I seem to remember lifting the tail of the LTP and grounding it back to the input ground. Ultimately, the ground plane in the Rev B needs to be the main change in the Rev C, going from a ground plane to a star ground like on my ST70, Poseidon and GSG.

As far as the wheels coming off in August of the Ike in 2008 campaign, I blame a young woman. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_02
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby soundtech » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:50 am

Hi, brand new member here.
Just adding my 'vote' for the rev c Eiclone boards - I'll surely take a pair when available. Thanks.

Paul
soundtech

Postby tomlang » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:18 pm

New member here also. Just curious what is latest on this project, thanks.
tomlang

Postby MLVA123 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:18 pm

Hi Shannon and crew.
Cooler weather is coming, and I'm thinking about another DIYTube project.
The IKE looks like the one, since I'd love to try a bi-amp project, and IKE might make a good bass amp...
Soooo.... whats up?!?
Mike
Tube Noob
MLVA123

Re: Vote for Ike in 2008

Postby nineno » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:09 pm

separks wrote:The Eiclones have been in stasis for almost two years. I sold out of the Rev B boards and never reordered, mostly because the boards were expensive for me as well as the customer, especially since it was a monoblock...

So I've gravitated back to the Ikes. ... I would probably eliminate the mini-9/octal hybrid socket and just make it octal for a 6SL7. ... Thinking of making it guitar amp friendly, with a good spot for a tone circuit to 'plug in'.

Thoughts? Any interest?

Hey Shannon - I haven't spoken up much on the forums lately (errr...for a couple years?), but I still check-in regularly.

A while ago I remember reading that you considered re-engineering the Ike PCB to be guitar amp-able. Did anything more ever come of this iteration?

Look forward to hearing back.
Drew (nineno)
nineno

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:38 pm

Howdy, Drew! The Eiclone is one of my two major focuses for 2010 (a phono stage is the other). One tendril of the Ike will be re-tooling a design using the Rev A boards and probably 1625s. The other tendril is a bit unfocused, though Ikezillas remain a possibility. What do the guitar amp guys want?
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to eiclone