Vote for Ike in 2008

a DIY, modified Mullard 5-20 monoblock design

Vote for Ike in 2008

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:48 am

The Eiclones have been in stasis for almost two years. I sold out of the Rev B boards and never reordered, mostly because the boards were expensive for me as well as the customer, especially since it was a monoblock. Also, after the Poseidon board was released in February 2006, I thought that I would just do a power supply board that would support it for a DIY monoblock (and ST70s and MKIIIs, too). That board is actually designed, though I haven't ordered any prototypes. I'm not sure I want to release a product that is similar to many others out there, especially if my PS board was more expensive.

So I've gravitated back to the Ikes. I'm thinking I would redo the ground plane to a better star ground to lower the noise floor. I would probably eliminate the mini-9/octal hybrid socket and just make it octal for a 6SL7. Not sure what I would do with the extra triode half, but maybe I make it a totem pole SRPP. I would like to examine the possibilities of making the board PPP compatible. I'll also look at the Edcor line of transformers and see how they compare with the value of the original Hammonds. Still no plans for tube rectifier support. Thinking of making it guitar amp friendly, with a good spot for a tone circuit to 'plug in'.

Thoughts? Any interest?
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby lth1 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:04 pm

Shannon, I really like the new Teflon sockets because of their grip on the tubes pins. Is there any way you could put in your designs a second set of holes for this style of socket, this would be similiar to your mini-9/octal hybrid socket, should be easier because it would be just a set of smaller holes slightly inside the existing PCB octal socket holes.

Cordially,
Lee Hankins
lth1

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:40 pm

Lee, like these?

SOCKETS
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby lth1 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi Shannon, yes those are the ones. I also use the Bakelite version, and that is the vendor that I have been purchasing from. Ebay address in Brooklyn but products from Hong Kong.
lth1

Postby Ty_Bower » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:00 pm

How about a completely redesigned DIY-ST35, with fixed bias and a LTP splitter and provisions for adding an additional pair of 6BQ5 on each channel for parallel push-pull?

Of course, I guess there wouldn't be much ST35 left in it at that point. :)
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:46 pm

Ty_Bower wrote:How about a completely redesigned DIY-ST35, with fixed bias and a LTP splitter...?

Eric Hayes has let me demo his TAL 1773 amp which is exactly what you describe. 24 watts with EL84s!! The LTP uses 6GU7s which is a 6.3V 12BH7 variant (nice tubes). The result? It is more like a mini Eico HF87 than a ST35. Great, great amp.

I'll think about it. But I gotta do high power in 2008 before I lose too much cred due to my SET meanderings. :)
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby TerrySmith » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:00 pm

There is already a such a board, just use the Diy ST-70 or poseidon board with your favorite EL84/6BQ5, fixed bias. Just pretend your building a mini-me '70.

How does it sound? FANTASTIC! I'm sure it could stand a little tweekin, as it has too much gain. I cobbled up this amp last week and I will post pics in either the '35 or '70 section soon.
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby WA4SWJ » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:51 am

Shannon,

My Ikes are great, but I would get in line to buy upgrade boards if you design them. If you keep the mounting holes the same I'll just pull out the old boards and bolt new ones in. The noise floor reduction would be great although mine are not too noisy.

They are great sounding amps so I would strongly vote for a go ahead!

Edit: BTW the 6SN7 VA would be fine too. Only would need to enlarge the chassis hole that's there for a 9 pin socket now.

One more edit: Shannon, I still have two of those massive HF-89 style OPT's that Eric sold me a while back that I'm just about ready to do something with and I would buy two just to drive those transformers. So probably 5 boards for me.

Thanks,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:33 am

I'd go for updated "2K8" Ikes!

I have a set of the original Rev A boards, and they still work fine, with EH KT88s. I got around the DC HV "spacing" issue by using some plastic "coasters" under the eiectrolytics that I had on hand - these caps came with their plastic spacer / holder disks and they were perfect fit for the board. They lifted the caps about 1/16 inch so that the metal terminal "weldments" were at a safe distance from the PC traces.

I could use the new ones for higher power (KT88) and then re-work the older "Model As" for 6B4G / 6C4C PP duty.

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby TerrySmith » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:09 am

Having the power tubes off board is a good idea, like the getsetgo.

This would make the Ikezilla easier to build!
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:02 pm

That would be something like a "super Poseidon" which would also be a very useful and flexible design, I could live with the power tubes off-board... Have the PSU and the drivers on board and the power glass off...
Makes PPP "monster" amps a lot easier...

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:21 pm

Good ideas, gents. The extra PPP tubes would've been left off anyway, so why not leave them all off? It wouldn't preclude it from updating a Rev B chassis either.

Hmmm. Must. Have. 100W. Watt. Tube. Amp. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_07
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Ty_Bower » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:10 pm

If you leave the power tubes off the board, how different is the Ike from the Poseidon?

Honestly, I like having all the tubes on board, at least with the ST35. I never did build an Ike. Someday I might finish my Poseidons. Keeping the output tubes separate is kinda necessary for the Poseidon, since I think it's squarely targeted at people looking to fix up an old pair of Dynaco Mark III.

I probably would have bought a set of Ikes instead of the Poseidons except the Ikes weren't in production at the time, and I happened to land the Mark III iron and chassis for dirt cheap. The fewer wires I have to route, the better for me. That's why I went PCB in the first place. If I wanted to run wires to sockets, I would have built point to point.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby WA4SWJ » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:57 pm

I have to admit that I too would like the power tubes on the board like Ty. I'd like to get the noise reduction into my existing amps as well as build some new monoblocks. I would probably give the old boards away to some deserving member.

I want to run a pair of JJ KT-88's into those big transformers I mentioned above. Should be a killer amp. I don't need the Ikezilla but I also have to admit that it would be fun too. Please put in all of Eric's suggestions like balanced phase inverter control and so on (pot).

Well, I can wish can't i?
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:13 am

Good comments guys. I shall drink some coffee, and stare at the layout to see what jumps out at me. :)
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Next

Return to eiclone