6L6GCs?

a DIY, modified Mullard 5-20 monoblock design

6L6GCs?

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:08 pm

Anyone ever use this tube? I think Gintaras sells'em for peanuts.

I almost threw a pair of regular 6L6s into the Eiclone last night until I double checked the max plate dissipation. Oops. :)

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Ampzilla

Postby EWBrown » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:54 am

About 30 years ago, a friend and I built up this mongo guitar amp, it used 8 of them, two channels, 4 pushpull/parallel in each channel. No reverb, tremelo or fuzz, just clean sound - almost true audio quality.

It was a roughly copied from a Fender Dual Showman, less the "extras" and then made double . Those days, good power iron was available cheap if one was lucky at the electro-surplus stores.

I don't remember all the gory details, but it was pretty conventional circuitry.

Definitely "standard" 6L6s won't cut the mustard here. And forget about 12L6s, 25L6s, 50L6s, they are wittle weenie 2 watters, they just stole the L6 name :twisted: :? :wink:

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

ask and you shall receive....

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:02 pm

Whoowee! I never get lucky at the junk shops, but I asked the lady if I could peruse her junk pile out back. She said I wouldn't find anything - it was junk. There was a old PA amp - some long forgotten brand covered over but torn apart VCRs. Anyhow, I flipped it over and pulled the tubes out: three typical preamp tubes and two dusty RCA 6L6GCs. I went back in and told her I did find a few old tubes and she tried to interest me in the brand new boxed TV-type tubes she had instead. Uhh - no thanks. "OK, four bucks then."

Sweet - now I can see what these babies can do.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to eiclone