my clementine build

sweet & juicy SE amp for 1626 Darlings and the 6L6 family

my clementine build

Postby skjoldp » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:11 am

Hi all
I have to show my clementine build. It took 8-10 months to complete, and it is build "twice"once as prototype and once as final,
IMAG0097.jpg
IMAG0097.jpg (664.23 KiB) Viewed 7842 times

But first i have to give you some history.
I have the last 8-9 years been building my own electrostatic speakers and transformers, and tried many different amplifiers to go with them.
until i came across a Futterman OTL.
Then everything was "in tune".
the sound stage, dimension, detail and sweetness, all fit together. and i thought this can't be better.

Until.... a good friend and i was hit by the "Horn bacsil" we have the plecure to lisen to the avantgarde-acoustic horns http://www.avantgarde-acoustic.de/trio-product-en.html on the munich High End far more than once for some years and i was stund over the sound.
Completely different that ELS speakers, but what a dynamic they can perform, and detail "if dialed in correctly"
so just to do some other "thing" last winter we hit "the Horns" and start working / tuning.
i have a "smal" working set playing and was looking for a amp to go for the JBL 2446 horn driver for my papir horns. http://www.inlowsound.com/

internet and google is the place to go for reading, and Inlow have been building a clementine and gave a good writing, so i decided to give it a go.
The board was ordered, components was found, and the build begin.

prototype:
IMG_2802_2.jpg
IMG_2802_2.jpg (496.33 KiB) Viewed 7842 times

Then a bought a pair of KEF Celeste II from 1965. Most becaurce off the B139 bass, as this i still to my hears the best ever made.
they are in mint condition and what more easy than just to hook it up to the clementine to see if they was working....
(http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/mus ... s_1967.pdf)

The two things it has not been separated from each other since......
they just sound so sweet, open, detailed. the midrange is so sweet i can't let it go.
(and i have not owned and played a "box" speaker for 20 years)
Can clementine drive the KEF, yes, but not to ear bleeding levels, but good for me in the current listening room 4 X 4 m.
i have tried them in 7 x 4 M and they don´t say much. but the little listening room is just like a big set of headphones :-)
IMAG0103.jpg
IMAG0103.jpg (810.63 KiB) Viewed 7842 times

This summer i build the Clementine into a frame so it can stand out securely, and have myself a old "instant on" stereo set.
70 years old tubes, 50 years old speakers and my Squeeze dac, and i´m happy playing music.

IMG_2810.jpg
IMG_2810.jpg (470.92 KiB) Viewed 7842 times

I read about dubbel 1626 tubes in parallel, and it is hooked up like that for the moment. the winter time must be for measures.
Best regards

SKjold Petersen
Attachments
IMG_2806.jpg
IMG_2806.jpg (548.58 KiB) Viewed 7842 times
skjoldp

Re: my clementine build

Postby soundbrigade » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:31 am

Bitte the Unterseite showen Sie uns. Or in almost perfect English. Pleize schow us the anderside.

I have used almost the same layout for a (not yet finished) amp and the board is not 2" thick and thanks to the low componet count everything will fit.
Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

Postby skjoldp » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:12 pm

Here are the "other side" ;)
The big black caps are from Mundoff, some i had laying arround.

did a measure on 5,4 ohm 1 khz , 2,53 V = 1.2 watt one tube.
same 5,4 ohm, 1 khz, 3,0 V = 1.7 watt two tubes.
[img]
http://imgur.com/a/bZ4NJ[/img]
skjoldp

Postby soundbrigade » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:56 pm

I also used a router to make a cavity, so this I recognize a lot.
Must finish that project some time and make a short report in here.

Besides, I finished my first (or second) Darling but wired for 12B4A, but I cannot find my 12B4A-tubes ... :/
Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

Return to clementine