How far can it go?

sweet & juicy SE amp for 1626 Darlings and the 6L6 family

How far can it go?

Postby triodesteve » Tue May 31, 2016 7:26 pm

Or maybe how far should it go?
I've followed darling builders from way back when Bob D first published the circuit and everyone and their neighbor seemed to be building one.
And now (or maybe I should say finally) with Shannon's board, I feel that its a project I can tackle.

As the original Darling was a bare bones, what's in the parts bin amplifier, I'm trying to resist the urge for fancy parts.

Please everyone tell me to build it as is, with parts from Mouser and trannies from Edcor, and then tell me I'll be happy. Somehow Russian teflon
caps and Black Gates seem wrong here.

Btw, I know once I build it, I won't go back and replace parts....I'm terrible at desoldering!

Thanks,
Steve
triodesteve

Re: How far can it go?

Postby TomMcNally » Tue May 31, 2016 8:29 pm

Hi Steve -

I'm going to guess that I've built more Darlings than anyone on Earth, I count 35 ... most of them used generic Illinois mylar coupling caps from an eBay deal. I did build some with James outputs and more expensive coupling caps. Most used a 12SL7, a few used 8532's. They all sound good with no tweaking, no measuring voltages, no fussing around, just turn them on and play music. No need to warm up the 70 year old tubes slowly with a Variac. 15 seconds and you're ready, in fact, a Darling warms up before the CD directory is read and playing. (lol)

Show us some pics ... !

... tom

My stuff at http://tmamps.com
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Return to clementine