Clementine Styles

sweet & juicy SE amp for 1626 Darlings and the 6L6 family

Clementine Styles

Postby coolhandjjl » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:07 am

Darling style uses a true triode tube, making it a bit pricier than the strapped triode or UL mode, or do the bigger output transformers required cancel out the cost savings that 6L6 tubes bring?

What should I be considering to help select between strapped triode or UL mode? If I don't need the added power, stick with strapped triode mode?
coolhandjjl

Re: Clementine Styles

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:19 pm

coolhandjjl wrote:Darling style uses a true triode tube, making it a bit pricier than the strapped triode or UL mode, or do the bigger output transformers required cancel out the cost savings that 6L6 tubes bring?

I haven't priced 1626s lately, but they always seemed cheap to me, and the Russian 6L6s are pretty cheap, too. I think either project will be about the same, though one could use even smaller outputs for the Darling (though I wouldn't recommend it).

coolhandjjl wrote:What should I be considering to help select between strapped triode or UL mode? If I don't need the added power, stick with strapped triode mode?

Right. The triode strapped version will also have more gain and thus easier to drive with your source.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to clementine