Help with choke specs

sweet & juicy SE amp for 1626 Darlings and the 6L6 family

Help with choke specs

Postby smhong » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi Everybody! I just got Shannons pcb for clementine amp. I was going thru the mouser parts list and
found 1H choke at j6. When I looked at the schemetics that I got with pcb, it says 1.5H.
I am very new to tube amp building and learning alot from this forum.
Could I use 1.5H @ 250mA from the Edcor when I use Tung-Sol 6L6G New Production Power Vacuum Tube
from the tube depot. I have not ordered any parts yet. First I have to learn how to solder!!!
Thank you for your help.
smhong

Re: Help with choke specs

Postby battradio » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:17 pm

If you really want to use the 1.5 hy coke , use the triode http://www.triodeelectronics.com/c354.html , the mouser will work fine though .
Mark
battradio
KT88

Postby mesherm » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:49 pm

If your new to soldering you should be warned that the Clementine PCB is thick and some pads (mostly the ground plane) take some extra effort to solder properly.

http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htm
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Postby smhong » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:39 am

Thank you for your help. Like you said that it might be too much for a beginner like me.
I want to have fun not hard time and get frustrated!!! Maybe you could recommand
a one of Shannon's boards. How about budgie se? I will keep the clementine for later.
I did very little bit of soldering when I took computer science in college ( 20 years ago )
Thanks again.
smhong

Postby mesherm » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:40 pm

I didn't want to dissuade you from building a Clementine, I just wanted to give you a heads up. The only way to learn soldering is by doing. Fortunatly a bad solder joint can most of the time be reheated and put right. All in all the Clementine is a relatively easy build compared to a point to point build. Just get good output transformer iron and people on the forum can assist you with any questions or problems.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Postby battradio » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:35 pm

smhong wrote:Thank you for your help. Like you said that it might be too much for a beginner like me.
I want to have fun not hard time and get frustrated!!! Maybe you could recommand
a one of Shannon's boards. How about budgie se? I will keep the clementine for later.
I did very little bit of soldering when I took computer science in college ( 20 years ago )
Thanks again.

To learn soldering buy two things a good temperature controlled iron , and a couple of $10 to $20 kits from ebay and put them together before you start something like a Clementine .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/a-kit-of-LJM-Mi ... 1c29cafe6e
http://www.ebay.com/itm/937D-Soldering- ... 2c6e4ae04d
Mark
battradio
KT88

Postby smhong » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:49 pm

Thanks again for your advice and links to ebay.
I think I will try cheap pcb kits first and when I get good at
soldering I will build Clementine amp.
Thank you!!
smhong

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:01 pm

We all learn by doing! I wouldn't worry about it. As far as chokes, you have many options and any of them will work fine including the Edcor. I'm just always running out of room on my chassis, so I like the "hide-them-underneath" 1.5H chokes.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby justinsweber » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:32 pm

The choke you sugested will work.
Edcor has a 5H 200ma 50 ohms that rocks...
1H to 5H is great... The Choke needs to be 200ma and lower DCR is better..
Triodes 1.5H C354 or the Hammond 156r or the edcor you chose are very very commonly used.

I perfer big chokes... but still need to be lower DCR.
justinsweber

Return to clementine