Clementine 4 me 2

sweet & juicy SE amp for 1626 Darlings and the 6L6 family

Clementine 4 me 2

Postby Eckhorn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:36 am

Hello,

I am new to this forum :-) I have built a tube amp based on EL84 and I want to build my next tube amp. I have a pair of 6L6GC and some 6SL7GT so after surfing in the www I found you :-) The clementine amp seems to be my next amp. Since my transformer does not have that high voltage I wanted to play a bit around with Tube CAD. Now it seems that this program is not available anymore. Are there alternatives for tube simulation? The program should not be too complicated I do not want to spend weeks to learn it.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,
Bernie
Eckhorn

Re: Clementine 4 me 2

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:32 am

Tube CAD is great! Grab a copy: http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/B-CD028
Note that it is not Win7 64-bit friendly. You would need to use Virtualbox to overcome that.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Eckhorn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:06 pm

Thank you for your answer Shannon

No problem I can run it virtualized on a 32bit OS. Do you know if there is a download version available? I am from Europe and I don't know how easys it is to order from that store (I will check if there is no other option).

Do I need the SEamp CAD also?

Thank you.
Bernie
Eckhorn

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:13 pm

I think it was never a downloadable file. With 32-bit Win 7 you may be able to install without issues. Yes, SE Cad is also a great program. I would rate those two as the most useful of all John Broskie's software that I've used.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:11 am

And here's one more piece of software for the DIYer which is invaluable, Duncan's PSU Designer II:
http://www.duncanamps.com/psud2/index.html
"PSU Designer II is designed to help you with the design of simple linear (unregulated) mains power supplies, as often found in tube amplifiers."

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Eckhorn » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:47 am

Hello Shannon,

Thank you again (y) I was using the PSU Desinger already some time ago and I will use it again. I start to buld my Clementine now (board and some of the parts ordered) and I will for sure have some questions. Can I go on with that Thread or should I start a new thread for each question (sorry I am the new guy here).

My first question is about C7/C8 of the schema. You are using 450 Volt Caps with 330VAC input...

If there is some interesst I will document the build with photos later on.

Thank you.
Bernie
Eckhorn

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:22 pm

The PA774 and the Edcor version (XPWR005-120) are probably a little closer to 320V-0-320V, but your concern is well warranted. The GE CL90 inrush current limiter is the key. When the amp starts up, there is no current draw on the B+ as the heaters start to do their work. The CL90 helps to keep the B+ under the 450V rating during those first ten seconds by acting like a 120 ohm resistor in series with the primary. I've monitored this closely and it works very well. Note also that modern electrolytics have surge ratings that are a little higher than steady state, but the CL90 gives us a saftey margin.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to clementine