Output transformer choices

sweet & juicy SE amp for 1626 Darlings and the 6L6 family

Output transformer choices

Postby zippy1540 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:40 pm

Looking for opinions on which output transformer to upgrade my clementine to... the choices so far are...
Transcendar 5k to 8ohm
Magnaquest rh-60
Edcor gsxe
James

I've been leaning towards the Transcendar but the Magnaquest is in the same price range.

My system right now is a Dual 1219, Audiotechnica 440mla, Budgie phono and line stage, the Clementine with 6l6gc or KT77's right now and DIY Metronomes using the Fostex FF165WK drivers. The clementine used a pair of Edcor XSE outputs right now and sounds good enough to invest in better outputs.

Any thoughts?
zippy1540

Postby zippy1540 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:59 pm

WOW! no comments???? i'm just looking for opinions. Anyone running Trancendars in a chubby clementine?
zippy1540

Postby Geek » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:45 am

Guess not (???)

I think we're pretty much mostly dedicated Edcor fans [:)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby rmyauck » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:10 am

Over at diyaudio George Anderson of tubelab thought the transcendars where really good also . He had tried Electraprint from Jack Elliano and rated them tops. Another well liked US winder is Bud Puvine of Onetrics.

Randy
rmyauck

Postby 20to20 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:31 pm

zippy1540 wrote:WOW! no comments???? i'm just looking for opinions. Anyone running Trancendars in a chubby clementine?

For someone to give a thoughtful, and reasoned opinion would require them to have built your amp and then to have done the "upgrade" to those one or more of those choices. Or built a second amp to compare with... If Tom or Shannon ain't done it, it ain't been done...

The clementine used a pair of Edcor XSE outputs right now and sounds good enough to invest in better outputs.

I can't speak to the Clementine build, and XSE trannies, but I'm using the GXSE on my "Power Station" build and I'm just amazed at the HIFI of them. 40 - 18K is all that amp needs, period. I feared not going with the CXSE and their 20-20K rating but not now. I'm still finalizing the build but I've been listening to it a lot and will post about it before long. It has the 10W trannies and everything is in the output, clear and present. Just beautiful. Would the GSXE's make your amp sound better? Can't say. Tom has probably "swapped up" trannies. Shoot him a PM. He may have missed your OP.
Headed for Tishomingo to sing in a can...
20to20
KT88

Postby DeathRex » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:03 pm

Only SE transformers I have used have been the GXSE from edcor. When I first started looking at building SE amps back in the mid 90s, most choices were $90+, except for the little hammond. Between the XSE and GXSE, for a little more money ($37) you get almost twice the weight.
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Re: Output transformer choices

Postby zippy1540 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:06 pm

I may just stick with the Edcors, i probably couldn't hear the difference in the top and bottom freq range anyway. 20yrs of Army Service with three combat tours has taken it's toll on my hearing. :(
zippy1540

Postby EWBrown » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:47 pm

I'm running the smaller 5 watt 5K:8 ohm Transcendars with the 1626 Clementine, and it sounds very nice!

I've used 3K:8 Transcendars with 300Bs, and 6AV5GAs. Sound VERY nice!

The Magnequests are excellent, but likeEdcors, they are built to order, so thereis a several-week interval between
ordering and receipt.

The Transcendars arrive a lot faster, via E-Bay, I haven't tried direct orders from them.

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby justinsweber » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:37 am

I was and edcor fan, but there are a few grips. 1. never in stock... even for commonly used ones. 2. Color. They have a very cool older looking UTC looking grey. What about plan black? Lastly and most importantly... 20hz-20khz in a form factor that will fit on normalish chassis. I have begun to use Transcendar Audio Transformers. Their 5watt is not pretty, but fits under a 3" chassis and does 20hz-20khz at 5 watts. Im using it for the 1626 amp. Some may believe that 40-20 is great... I was one... try the 20hz-20khz iron from edcor or Transcendar and then lets talk... There is a difference and I believe it to be positive. The 5watt 5k 8oh is great for the 6BG4, the SE EL84 and 1626 and prob the 6l6 with no feedback and the UL not hooked up. They are ~$90. The edcors were ~$70-80... not a significant increase. Now the 10watt version has a UL tapp and is a beefy monster in a small form factor similar to the GXSE from Edcor and again it does 20hz-20khz.

Just my 2 cents. I try to only but american and do want to support smaller vendors... I just like one better than the other now.
justinsweber

Return to clementine