A new Clementine 6L6 build

sweet & juicy SE amp for 1626 Darlings and the 6L6 family

A new Clementine 6L6 build

Postby lakerat » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:02 am

Hello All
I a brand new guy to the diy tube world. Here in my job (tv engineer) the rush to computerize everything is removing me from my electronic roots. So in order to remedy this I have ordered everything I think to build the 6l6 clem.
board from sparks.
BOM from mouser plus choke and binding posts.
edcor power and output transformers.
matched pair of 6l6 and a 6sl7 and 3, 8pin pc mount sockets.
Anything i am missing?
I have punches and a unibit and acsess to all the wire i could ever need.
I do need to order a chassis, what size will be roomy enough for this project? i see a 12x8x3 is popular. would this be correct for the clem?
Being that i was raised in the solid state world i will probably need a little help and advice.
Steven...........
lakerat

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:09 pm

Good luck to you, and don't hesitate to ask your questions.

I love pictures to visual all the needed bits, and Tom McNally has several Clementine's pictured here: http://www.wdox.com/

12x8x3 is a good size chassis and a common choice. You can also squeeze it all into a 12x8x2, which is my preference with external Edcors (and a small choke like the C354 or Triad one).

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Re: A new Clementine 6L6 build

Postby Ty_Bower » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

lakerat wrote:I have punches and a unibit...
I do need to order a chassis, what size will be roomy enough for this project? i see a 12x8x3 is popular. would this be correct for the clem?

I like to build my chassis with a metal top plate and hardwood box frames. It makes it easy to build them any size you want. I think I used an 8.125" by 10.625" plate when I built the Clementine. I did use the smaller GXSE10 outputs, and I really wouldn't have wanted to try to make the chassis any smaller. I draw the layout first in Microsoft Visio, then print a drilling template to scale and tape it down on the metal plate.

Image Image
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby SVinzant » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:30 pm

Steven,
Welcome aboard!
There must be centuries of experience here!
Posting detailed, close up pictures is also very helpful when having issues.
Good luck with you project!
Oh, and, I don't know about that Ty_Bower guy. Sometimes, his "hardwood" sides are nothing but old 2x4's ;)
J/K Ty... :$

Scott
SVinzant

Postby Ty_Bower » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:11 pm

SVinzant wrote:Sometimes, his "hardwood" sides are nothing but old 2x4's ;)

Hey, we've all had to start somewhere. Besides, those 2x4 are very cost effective!
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby lakerat » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:57 pm

Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies. I just got back from a week at the lake and a lot of items have come in so i am ready to start. I am really liking the wood bases for the case. And a least the 2x4 had some joinery work! And the board i got from Shannon is beautiful. Was wondering how long edcor takes to make and ship their transformers? hope everyone had a great july 4th and hope to post some pics soon.
Steven........
lakerat

Postby Fiddler » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:25 pm

Figure 5-6 weeks to get the transformers from Edcor.
Fiddler

Postby xecluded » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:26 pm

I ordered mine June 1st and they still have yet to ship....
xecluded

Postby xecluded » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:31 am

Just received an email from Edcor to inform that my order is on my way.... (lol)
xecluded

Postby lakerat » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:10 pm

Very nice to hear. Maybe mine are close behind. I will just get everything else ready. Got the board done and tubes came in. Chassis and various sundries on the way. I am excited to hear this amp.
lakerat

Postby EWBrown » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:53 pm

The 2X lumber4 base is good, nice and sturdy, and perfect for the larger sized designs, which use lots of big, heavy iron.

One way to obtain "fancy" hardwood for the base, is to look for the short "leftover" pieces, usually sold as "craft bundles" at the local lumber yard. Most should have these available, or you can ask for any short pieces, which they would otherwise just chuck out or toss into the woodstove =:o

I was looking at some brass kickplates at the local hardware store today, the larger ones would make some nice looking chassis plates. I'd have to make sure these are really brass, and not just brass-plated steel. (Bring along a magnet, next time I go there) :)) [:)

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby lakerat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:12 am

I like 2x4 's i build a lot of quick furniture out of it, My record storage is all 2x4 only. Wife even likes it ! thats tough to do! Finaly got my edcor shipment in. finishing up the metal work in my sweat shop. 104 yesterday.
somehow punched one of my tube holes off a bit had to do a little hand filing. probably the sweat in my eyes. I do have a question. Can the stainless steel be polished to a chrome like luster? I have never tried to polish SS. Thought i would ask before trying.
lakerat

Postby EWBrown » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:29 pm

REminds me of college daze, much of the "field expedient" furniture was made with various permutations of 2X4s and cinder blocks.

Tinkertoys for Big People. ;) (lol)

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby lakerat » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:03 pm

Ha! EWBrown Who said we didnt learn anything in college! Got it done and it sounds wonderful!!(builders bias of course) dead quiet and beats my solid state amp hands down. Works great with my refurbished JBL4410 speakers. and as a bonus it looks nice! Will put up some pics tonight. Now i need to build a budgie phono and preamp.
lakerat

Postby lakerat » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:52 pm

pics as promised.

lakerat

Next

Return to clementine