Clementine Tube Rolling

sweet & juicy SE amp for 1626 Darlings and the 6L6 family

Clementine Tube Rolling

Postby Fiddler » Fri May 04, 2012 10:09 am

Clementine tube rolling.

I find that the Clementine sound does vary a bit with different tubes. One of the great things about the circuit is that you can try different tubes so easily.

I started with 6L6's as I had a few brands available.

Old Sylvania's and GE's sounded very similar. Smooth and a bit laid back.

Electro Harmonix - a bit more forward.

JJ - the best midrange of the bunch with better extension in the highs.

Other types:

JJ E34L - Nice, but just a bit hard in the mids.

JJ KT77 - The best so far. Luscious midrange and soundstage.

JJ KT88 - Just got these monsters. The sound is very similar to the KT77 but a bit less sensitive. Pricey but very solid sound and killer looks!

Note that ALL of these in the Clementine delivered very high quality sound and more than enough power for my close-listening application. I would be happy with any of them.

Which, of course, doesn't mean I'm through folling around!

I would be very interested to read what differences others have heard. Has anyone done power measurements? I don't have the gear for it.
Fiddler

Updated rolling

Postby Fiddler » Sat May 05, 2012 12:28 pm

Having now given the KT88's a fair trial I can say as follows:

Orchestral music: the KT77 wins. The sound of orcestral strings is presented in a sweet and very natural manner, to an extent that I have never heard from any amplifier. By contrast the KT88 sounds just a bit bright, as if the players had all changed to chromsteel strings (when I know they are playing composite or gut). Soundstage is superb.

Jazz: Here the slight edge of the KT88 pays off. Drum transients are incisive and fast, sometimes startling. Voices are just a tad forward. Bass is instrumental and articulate. The KT77 is a close second.

All of this is nit picking. Both sets of tubes are still quite new and things may sound different next week.

In only one area can I say one set will always excel - the KT88 has it for looks!
Fiddler

Re: Clementine Tube Rolling

Postby ekubota » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:56 am

Any thoughts on using 6AR6 instead of 6L6/6L6GC in a Clementine? Here is a spec sheet: http://www.the-planet.org/pdf/6AR6.pdf
ekubota

Postby EWBrown » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:19 pm

The 6AR6 / 6098 / 6384 should work, but due to the non-standard base connections, a lot of etch "cut and jump" surgery would be required to accommodate these tubes. They would likely perform best in triode-strapped or pentode modes, I am not sure if they would play well in ultra-linear operation.

HTH

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby ekubota » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:32 pm

Okay, thanks. I'm doing a PTP scratchbuild so the different pinout is not a problem. The specs linked in my earlier post do not seem dramatically different from those for the original 6L6, although I noticed the 6AR6 heaters draw 1.2A current rather than 0.9A, among a few other differences. I will probably stay within the 6L6 family for now.
ekubota

Return to clementine