Yet another Clem

sweet & juicy SE amp for 1626 Darlings and the 6L6 family

Yet another Clem

Postby Fiddler » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:14 pm

Finished today. Just breaking in but sounds very good already as I try different 6L6's (old Sylvania's in the picture).

Here it is in situ on top of the stack; but a shootout with the very different "HF-4" is immenent...

Now...what to build next?
Fiddler

Postby TomMcNally » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:09 pm

Looking good! I have one of those chassis in black steel, ready
for a Clementine when my Edcor shipment arrives next week.

... tom
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:54 am

Some hefty plates on those Sylvanias - they won't even break a sweat. What are your bookshelf speakers, Fiddler? The driver looks a lot like my Daytons.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Fiddler » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:27 am

separks wrote:Some hefty plates on those Sylvanias - they won't even break a sweat. What are your bookshelf speakers, Fiddler? The driver looks a lot like my Daytons.

Shannon

The bassmid is a Dynaudio 17w75 ext and the tweeter is a Vifa XT25 dual ring radiator. The crossover is 1st order at 2.5k with Zobel compensation, which makes an easy load to drive. The box is recycled Rat Shack, 12 liter with a variovent in back. Efficiency is about 87db at a meter; but since I listen from about 2 ft. away, 1 watt per side is plenty for me. The 6L6 Clem sounds like a powerhouse!

Bob
Fiddler

Postby Fiddler » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:55 am

TomMcNally wrote:Looking good! I have one of those chassis in black steel, ready
for a Clementine when my Edcor shipment arrives next week.

... tom

The walnut panels do look nice, but Hammond apparently doesn't waste any QC time on them. I've used two sets so far. This one had faulty threaded inserts that left the panels loose. A couple of washers fixed that, but on the other set the panels didn't fit the chassis at all. I had to do some surgery on them to get them on. Looks ok so long as no one can see the back!

Next time I might try making my own. There are some sites that sell small quantities of exotic woods for about as much as Hammond asks for the ill fitting walnut. I'm thinking highly figured cocobolo or zebra wood.

Bob
Fiddler

Postby highflyin9 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:52 am

I'd recommend Keith's chassis for your next build Fiddler: http://myworld.ebay.com/po1019/

He'll cut them to size and include your choice of wood side panels for around the same price as the Hammonds, sometime even less. You do have to finish the wood yourself, but that gives you more options on the final color.

I'm using them for my in-progress Clem 6L6 & Get*Set*Go builds.

Very nice build btw, congrats!! (b)
My DIY Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com
highflyin9

Postby Fiddler » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:11 pm

highflyin9 wrote:I'd recommend Keith's chassis for your next build Fiddler: http://myworld.ebay.com/po1019/

He'll cut them to size and include your choice of wood side panels for around the same price as the Hammonds, sometime even less. You do have to finish the wood yourself, but that gives you more options on the final color.

I'm using them for my in-progress Clem 6L6 & Get*Set*Go builds.

Very nice build btw, congrats!! (b)

Keith's work does look very nice, and he does offer finishing for a moderate charge. Thanks for the tip!

Bob
Fiddler

Postby miker » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:40 pm

Very nice looking. Have you done any tube rolling yet?

Did you go with the Ultra or triode version? I'm collecting parts to try an Ultra build.
miker

Postby Fiddler » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:31 am

miker wrote:Very nice looking. Have you done any tube rolling yet?

Did you go with the Ultra or triode version? I'm collecting parts to try an Ultra build.

I wired the triode version. It produces more than enough power for my application and I didn't want to give up any gain.

I've tried 4 sets of 6L6 so far: JJ, Electro-Harmonix, old Sylvania and GE. I like the JJ's best. Tighter bass and more extended highs than the others. I've also used JJ E34L's which sounded almost the same. The older tubes sounded fatter and somewhat laid back.

The differences were subtle and all five sets produced very listenable sound.

Bob
Fiddler

Return to clementine