No ostriches were harmed in the making of this amp!

sweet & juicy SE amp for 1626 Darlings and the 6L6 family

No ostriches were harmed in the making of this amp!

Postby mwilliams » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:44 pm

Hello everyone!

Below is a link to my just completed Darling. Curly maple base with 10 degree angles and five coats of polyurethane, faux ostrich leather top, of course vintage 1626's and and RCA 12SL7, the feet were from eBay, the tube rings are plastic. They are some type of plumbing washers that I spray painted. The logo was my design, and my lovely wife Sue graciously translated this into Adobe Illustrator. Then she had the rub on vinyl cut out on a plotter at a local sign/print shop.

The back connections were a little tricky, but fun to work out. I wanted those to be at a 90 degree angle to the table, yet still have back at the 10 degree angle.

I want to publicly thank Shannon and Tom for developing the Clementine board. Thanks also to Shannon for this forum. And of course a special thank you to our Mr. Tom McNally for all the help and support he's offered me for several years now. I suspect his help has been offered to many of you other fellows too.

I had a lot of fun building this one and it sounds terrific!

Mark Williams
mwilliams

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:04 am

Mark - what an incredible job! Love the logo design and the paint work.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby TomMcNally » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:17 am

Wow! Spectacular look Mark - simple but elegant.
Very nice. I'm glad to have helped.

... tom
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby highflyin9 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:40 am

That's a very sleek, modern and artsy design. Congrats on the build Mark!
My DIY Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com
highflyin9

Postby EWBrown » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:25 am

I have a nearly completed Darling Clementine in process, but it definitely won't look anything quite so nicely crafted as yours, (love) (love) [:) [:)
with what I refer to as my standard build "Cold War Soviet Military Surplus" look ;) (lol)

I especially admire the "compound angled" woodwork, that takes a quite a lot of skill, to do so nicely.

Mine is built into a black powder-coated steel 10 X 6 X 2 chassis.

Only "mod" I added, is to install the R14 and R15 470 ohm screen grid resistors, so I can try 12V6GTs with the 250VDC B+, as well as the standard WWII surplus 1626s.

I wouldn't call the following a "mod", it is more of an "undocumented feature" :

12VDC for an incandescent or LED pilot light can be taken from the J8 pads on the PC board,
if the voltage doubler circuit is installed. No need for an external rectifier / filter cap to light these up :))
J8-1 is +, J8-2 is -

The 12V6GTs sound very good with 500 ohm RKs and a 325VDC power supply. I'm curious as to how they will sound with 250 V B+ and reduced plate current (???)

/ed B
Last edited by EWBrown on Mon May 07, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Fiddler » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Beautiful build!

I have a 6L6 Clem nearing completion, with only a pair of walnut side panels to mitigate the "science fair" look...
Fiddler

Thank you gentlemen!

Postby mwilliams » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:03 pm

Thanks fellows, for all your kind words.

Fiddler, if you need two walnut side panels just say the word. Private Message me and we will discuss the details.

I will make you some.

No charge. Just help me with the shipping charges.

Mark
mwilliams

I rather like the Cold War Military Surplus Look!

Postby mwilliams » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:12 pm

ED,

I like that industrial look actually!

That's interesting about running the other tubes. I will have to look them up. I'm not familiar with them.

You see, you guys are the smart ones. You know all about electronics.
I just know woodwork! (???) That's why I'm grateful to McNally and Shannon for coming up with this Clementine board.

Kind regards,
Mark
mwilliams

Postby EWBrown » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:19 pm

My woodworking skills are on a par with Homer Simpson's ;) (lol)

I do a lot better with metal -, I did really well in "metal shop" a L-O-N-G time ago, in high school , ;) (lol) and really terribly in "wood shop" =:o :'(

I completed my "Soviet Industrial Era" looking Darling, about a couple hours ago, and am running it right now, and I am amazed at just how good it sounds, and with reasonably efficient BLH speakers, it puts out a fairly impressive volume level.

I'm already scheming up a parallel 1626 SET, maybe 4 1626s per channel, and 6SL7 or 12SL7 SRPP drivers, all yet TBD .

/ed B in NC
Last edited by EWBrown on Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

12V6 tubes

Postby mwilliams » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Ed,

I just did some quick reading on the 12V6 tubes. I see. They are the same as the 6V6 except different filament voltage.

6V6's are great! I use the Russian equivalents in my "Magificent Magnavox" push-pull I rebuilt. Great little amp!

But...that's another forum!

And, you talk about Cold War Industrial Look? It's got it!

Mark
mwilliams

Re: Thank you gentlemen!

Postby Fiddler » Wed May 02, 2012 2:10 pm

mwilliams wrote:Thanks fellows, for all your kind words.

Fiddler, if you need two walnut side panels just say the word. Private Message me and we will discuss the details.

I will make you some.

No charge. Just help me with the shipping charges.

Mark

Thanks for the offer Mark. By the time I saw your post I had already bought a new chassis and used the side panels from that. Now I have this nice blank chassis - an excuse to build something else!
Fiddler

Return to clementine