Improved Clementine Low Noise Performance

sweet & juicy SE amp for 1626 Darlings and the 6L6 family

Improved Clementine Low Noise Performance

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:14 pm

1) Connect the both speaker '-' binding posts to the PCB ground at the GND eyelet. You can connect both '-' posts together and then run one wire to GND. Note: The Darlings are usually floating and will benefit. A Chubby Clementine with no feedback will need it, but the ones built with feedback (like the ULtra) should already have this connection.
2) Run a wire from the GND eyelet to a chassis screw, such as a transformer bolt. Secure it with a star washer or a crimp eyelet connector.

These mods will drop the noise floor into the dirt. I'll update the connection documents.

Shannon
Last edited by Shannon Parks on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby whaam68 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:45 pm

Hi Shannon
Do any of these mods apply to the ultra?
Regards
Mike
whaam68

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:51 pm

The ULtra already has #1 done, due to the feedback connections. Go ahead and do #2. The difference is very small and possibly inaudible, but was noticeable as I experimented with adding a headphone jack to my Clementines. My headphones are rated at 106dB at 1mW, so they really expose everything. My headphone post is forthcoming.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby whaam68 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:02 pm

Hi Shannon
I just finished doing mod 2 on my ultra....connecting the board earth to chassis ....definitely eliminates the last of the residual hum....now dead quiet through my big old vintage speakers between tracks so I would say well worth the effort....even for non headphone users.... :))
Regards
Mike
whaam68

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:02 pm

Excellent! Thanks for the update.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to clementine