Darling Amplifier with SS amplifier

sweet & juicy SE amp for 1626 Darlings and the 6L6 family

Darling Amplifier with SS amplifier

Postby Chucklesincharge » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:08 pm

So I love the sound of the darling but not so much the lack of power. Here's an idea I had and wanted some opinion on it.

I was going to run from my volume pot instead of the binding posts, another set of RCA connectors with output signal. Then from there running those into a solid state amplifier of some kind that would also have volume control.

I want to have the tube tone of my darling and have some more amplification.

Thoughts are much appreciated.

Also any diagrams or sketches of how to wire up another switch if this is a good idea. That way I can switch from the sound going to the RCA outs, and the binding posts when I just want to hook my speakers directly into it.

Thanks again and let me know your thoughts.

-Charles
Chucklesincharge

Postby TomMcNally » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:32 pm

You'd basically be using the Darling as a preamp.

I did that with this one:
I think I just isolated the RCA's with 10k resistors and a
toggle switch. Obviously, you need the ground connected
to the low side. I think the toggle switch on mine switched
in some 8 ohm load resistors to protect the output transformers.

The guy used it as an "effects box" in a recording studio.
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby miker » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:37 am

Where in your amp is your volume control located? If it is ahead of the 12SL7, as it most likely is, then taking an output from there to a SS amp will get you no tube tone.

However, I may be misunderstanding what you are trying to accomplish.
miker

Re: Darling Amplifier with SS amplifier

Postby Ty_Bower » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:15 pm

Chucklesincharge wrote:I want to have the tube tone of my darling and have some more amplification.

You might consider some form of bi-amplification where you run the low range (maybe 30~100 Hz) into a 8"~10" sealed sub with roughly 100~300 watts solid state amp. Then feed the rest of the spectrum through your Darling amp and into a modestly efficient full range driver, maybe something like a Fostex 126. MiniDSP sells a very nice digital crossover that will give you more flexibility than you would ever need.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Return to clementine