6L6GC Clementine, no feedback, triode

sweet & juicy SE amp for 1626 Darlings and the 6L6 family

6L6GC Clementine, no feedback, triode

Postby justinsweber » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:53 am

So I finished my 6L6 tonight... Finding a CL90 to add to the mix.
My budy put it on his bench and the amp has a pretty wave form... very very clean, even till clip.

Parts used:
Edcor XPWR005-120
GXSE15-8-5K
C354 Choke

The amp is putting out 3 watts rms before clip, and can be drive to full output via an iPod... ~450mv i think. As this is my replacement office amp, being able to drive this bad boy with low output sources rocks!

Ive checked all the voltages and there are either spot on or +/- 5%.
120v in 116v after the cl90 to the power transformer.
Has anyone removed R15/ R16 for increased output...?

So UL + Feed back = more output but needing more drive
My setup of triode, no feedback is super easy to drive, but only 3watts.
Would 3.5k transformers been a better choice?

Bunch of comments and questions... hope everyone likes the product... I sure do.

I still love my GetSetGo 300b best... but this is a definit charmer.

justinsweber

Postby Geek » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:06 am

Very cool! :))

3W is pretty good - best I got a 6L6 to do in triode was 1.8W.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby justinsweber » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:11 am

I feel better... I thought I was doing something wrong... thus all the voltage checks. My Budy called Triode amps a C*ck tease.... I get it... They tease with the sound and deny you the wattage
justinsweber

Postby Geek » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:27 am

justinsweber wrote:My Budy called Triode amps a C*ck tease.... I get it... They tease with the sound and deny you the wattage

(lol)

True dat! ;)
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:34 am

Looks great, Justin! The only way to get more power would be the ULtra mod, but that would definitely not be iPod friendly due to the drive requirements. Switching to 3.5K isn't an option either, as the distortion would go up dramatically. Fortunately 3W is probably perfect for an office amp.

I'm still kind of shocked at the Darling Clementine with 3/4W output power. Paired with my Klipsch Chorus IIs in the largest room in my house, it sounds glorious.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby justinsweber » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:23 pm

So 3 watts is right? Cook then.
The Clem @ 3/4 of a watt was horrible with some bostons A90s book shelfs I own, but terific with my buddies BW802 Matrix and my Cornscala's... 3/4 of a watt goes a very long way.
justinsweber

Postby EWBrown » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:10 pm

I haven't yet tried this particular combination of amp & speakers, but a Darling with my Karlsons should rock the house, they're scarey efficient, at least 98 dB spl, if not closer to 100. [:)

With two watts (6EM7 SET) they are LOUD, and with ten watts or more they create close to bleeding-ear painful SPLs. With 30 or 75 watts they could be sonic weapons. Almost a DIY LDAR =:o :'( (666)

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby EWBrown » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:15 am

Another "mutant" Clemmy is in process, starting a couple weeks ago, I loaded and soldered the PC board, with a combination of "Darling" and "Chubby" designs, so I could try try using 12V6GTs and 12SL7, with DC filaments.

12V6GTs draw 25 mA less filament current than do 1626s, so this shold be a relatively light load on my particular PT's filament windings.

I did all the metal mangling on Tuesday, and mounted everything, just have the wiring and soldering left, before another Clemmhy is introduced to the world, in the next day or two. [:)

More output power than a Darling, but less than a full fledged 6L6GC or EL34 Chubby Clementine.

Stay tuned....

Stay tubed....

more recent update:

After a few hours' use on this amp, I am very satisfied with the overall sound quality. Not as much ful power as the 6L6GC / EL34 version, but actually better than I originally expected. Nice and quiet background, no hum buzz or ripple, having all DC voltages on teh PC board is a "plus" factor. [:) The smaller GXSE10-8-5K OPTs don't have the deeper bottom end as do the more expensive Transcendars with the 6AV5GAs, but then they are a lot less $$$, and are excellent in their prioce range.

/ed B in NC
Last edited by EWBrown on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

The office/ daily use pic :-)

Postby justinsweber » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:40 am

justinsweber

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:57 am

I like seeing your amp in its natural habitat! The simple black and blue looks pretty cool. (y)

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to clementine