Sockets

sweet & juicy SE amp for 1626 Darlings and the 6L6 family

Sockets

Postby miker » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:36 pm

What is the recommended tube socket to buy for the board. I bought some Belton pc mount sockets because I have always had the best luck with Belton regular solder eyelet sockets. However, the circle diameter of the pins is 11/16 and the circuit board hole diameter is 1 1/8. I tried to bend the pins out 90 degrees but they snap off. Fudge.
miker

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:16 pm

I always use a standard ceramic octal PCB mount socket (new Chinese ones), like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-pin-Octal-PCB ... 0700268028

All the tube resellers should carry them.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:54 pm

Sorry about your luck. If it makes you feel better, I fell for it too:
http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 82&start=7

I do like the Belton line of sockets, but I've never figured out the intended application for those "circuit board" models. After my failed attempt, I've just been using the cheap Chinese ceramic octals like everyone else.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby TomMcNally » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:03 am

I seem to remember Steve at angela.com saying sockets like that
were used on boards where the tubes were initially soldered
right to the board. I think in cheap guitar amps? Had anyone
ever seen that? I can't think of any applications where the
pins are 1 to 1 on Octals.
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby miker » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:08 am

Thanks Ty, that does sort of make me feel better. I got a laugh out of it. I ordered new sockets.
miker

Re: Sockets

Postby Fiddler » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:26 am

miker wrote:What is the recommended tube socket to buy for the board. I bought some Belton pc mount sockets because I have always had the best luck with Belton regular solder eyelet sockets. However, the circle diameter of the pins is 11/16 and the circuit board hole diameter is 1 1/8. I tried to bend the pins out 90 degrees but they snap off. Fudge.

I bought the Beltons too and was too cheap to replace them. With some artful bending I got them in place. Looks like a trio of spiders doing pushups but sturdy enough (wish I had taken a picture)
Fiddler

Postby TerrySmith » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:44 am

Yep, a company called AMC sold amps that the four EL34 tubes were soldered directly to the boards. Each board held a pair of '34's, the rest of the circuitry was solid state. When a tube failed, you were supposed to replace the whole module they were attached to.
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby Fiddler » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:56 pm

TerrySmith wrote:

Yep, a company called AMC sold amps that the four EL34 tubes were soldered directly to the boards. Each board held a pair of '34's, the rest of the circuitry was solid state. When a tube failed, you were supposed to replace the whole module they were attached to.

Whoever designed that board probably wore neither belt nor suspenders! (lol)
Fiddler

Postby highflyin9 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:01 pm

I think pretty much any piece of electronics that uses the smaller pencil sized tubes has them soldered in place. There was a musical fidelity tube buffer that I replaced the tubes in, they were soldered directly to the board.

Regarding the sockets, I used the typical Chinese gold plated ceramic in my Get*Set*Go.

If you're looking for a socket with a super tight grab, these might do the trick: http://www.alliedelec.com/search/produc ... U=70102757

They're phosphor bronze contacts, I used them in another build with good results.
My DIY Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com
highflyin9

Re:

Postby carpenter » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:23 am

separks wrote:I always use a standard ceramic octal PCB mount socket (new Chinese ones), like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-pin-Octal-PCB ... 0700268028

All the tube resellers should carry them.

Shannon

If I had been a little less excited, I may have discovered this thread before beginning a redundant version. Thanks for that eBay link, Shannon. Turns out the guy lives in Portland Oregon. Guess where I live? ;)
carpenter

Return to clementine