sweet & juicy SE amp for 1626 Darlings and the 6L6 family

A or B?

A
83%
B
17%

Total votes : 12

Postby kku » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:28 pm

Ty, I'm assuming you are still making 1626 powered amp based on your posts here. Did you go with GXSE10 because of higher DC bias current of it compared to that of GXSE5-8-5.5K?

Reason why I'm asking is because I'm planning to use GXSE5-8-5.5K for a 1626 build. Is it less than perfect for use here?
kku

Postby Ty_Bower » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:34 pm

Yes, I'm going with the 1626. I chose the GXSE10 because I liked the attractive end covers. That's really it, and nothing more. I do have a pair of GXSE5 around, and I wouldn't mind trying to mount them temporarily and comparing them to the 10.

I can't see any reason why the GXSE5 wouldn't be perfectly adequate for this application.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:08 pm

The GXSE10s probably should give better bass response, the smaller 5 watt SE OPTs might tend to be somewhat bass-shy. Although with a 3/4 Watts output, they are far from being overworked or dealing with core saturation problems.

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Ty_Bower » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:51 am

EWBrown wrote:The GXSE10s probably should give better bass response, the smaller 5 watt SE OPTs might tend to be somewhat bass-shy.

I've wondered about that. The pair I recently ordered (GXSE10-8-5K) have nearly the same primary:secondary ratio as the GXSE5-8-5.5K. They both have nearly the same expected primary load. They both carry the same frequency response specification which is applied to the entire GXSE line (40Hz to 18KHz). I would expect they must both offer similar primary inductance - perhaps one from a bigger core and the other from a greater number of turns of smaller gauge wire?

I don't really know for sure, but I'm eager to do a direct comparison of the two. Maybe I should unwind one of each and compare the construction. (sick)
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:31 pm

The new "end bell" style GXSE10-8-5K have a lower primary inductance than did the older style (open frame) ones, the actual inductance and DCR measurements are posted elsewhere on this forum.

The smaller 5W ones may have a lower inductance, if only from the smaller core size. (???) :/

Of course the best way to tell, is to just try both the 10W and 5W types out, before committing them to the final design, perhaps the smaller ones will sound just as good with the 1626s [:) Better than performing a destructive transformer "autopsy", unless you are seriously interested in exploring their "top secret" O:) ;) construction techniques,

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Ty_Bower » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:47 pm

Uh oh. I got the shipping confirmation that Edcor has sent out my iron. I haven't even placed my Mouser order yet! I'd better get moving on this guy...

Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:47 pm

The UPS man brought me a nice package from Edcor this afternoon. Mouser should deliver tomorrow. If only this rain would hold off long enough for me to get the chassis primed and painted. I'd hate to build another naked one, now that I know better.

Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:49 am

Just got my Edcor confirmation yesterday. Hopefully I'll make some headway with machining the top plate today.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Ty_Bower » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:19 pm

separks wrote:Hopefully I'll make some headway with machining the top plate today.

Here's hoping the day was productive. I think the only thing I accomplished was gluing the base together. Sigh. Maybe tomorrow. In the meantime, here's some more pics to give a feel of how it will come together. I'm thinking Hammertone black for the top plate, and a light colored finish for the wood.

Image Image Image Image Image
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby TerrySmith » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:55 am

Hey Ty, how long did your Edcor order take? I ordered the exact same transformer set on 8-22 and havent heard from them!
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby Geek » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:08 pm

TerrySmith wrote:Hey Ty, how long did your Edcor order take? I ordered the exact same transformer set on 8-22 and havent heard from them!

Give them a call with your order # ... sometimes transformers have been in queue for me for 7 weeks when they get busy =:o

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:23 pm

TerrySmith wrote:Hey Ty, how long did your Edcor order take? I ordered the exact same transformer set on 8-22 and havent heard from them!

Order placed on August 7. Shipped on September 2.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Geek » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:34 pm

Hmmmm, sounds like a carrier issue. Get a tracking number?

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby TomMcNally » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:10 pm

Ty said ...

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:47 pm
The UPS man brought me a nice package from Edcor this afternoon

So his shipping was 7 days.

My Edcor orders have typically been 4 weeks to ship, another
week in transit, unless they get backed up.
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby TerrySmith » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:23 pm

Hmmmm, sounds like a carrier issue. Get a tracking number?

Nope, my Edcor page says processing and not yet shipped. I'm not in a big hurry, just curious on how long it generally takes.

Back to the topic, looks like I will use the "B" configuration as I have a 9" wide chassis, a Soundtastic Mark 3 blank that I forgot I had!
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

PreviousNext

Return to clementine