First Clementine Post

sweet & juicy SE amp for 1626 Darlings and the 6L6 family

First Clementine Post

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:19 am

I asked Tom McNally if he had any ideas for a new project and he requested a Darling PCB. I thought that was curious, as he can whip them up in a couple hours but I saw where he was coming from. Let's take an easy build and make it *easier*. At the time, I was working on a SE 807/1625 amp and I decided to marry these ideas together. So you can build a 3/4W Darling, or use it to build a 4W trioded 6L6 family amp (ie 6L6, 807, 1625, 6BG6). Obviously you can use other pentodes - like an EL34 - but I'm focusing on the 6L6-types right now. I figure if I tweak one, I tweak them all.

Here's the first run with the Darling build. I used Tom's Darling variant. Obviously, many props to the Darling originator, Bob Danielak. All the voltages tested perfect and I got *exactly* 3/4W.

The Clementine is 3" by 8" and .091" thick with 4oz copper - quite stout. I used the newer Hammond 269EX with 125V primary and my variac set to 120V for power. It is a cute transformer! Output transformers are the Edcor GXSE15-8-5K that I got in a trade from Ed Brown (these are the ones he tested in another thread). I think with the GXSE10-8-5K (the smaller 10W version) that it would be feasible to squeeze this all into the Hammond 6x10x2 chassis, in particular, the 1441-16BK3CWW. If not, the 8x12x2 would be a cinch. Parts to stuff the board minus sockets were $22.

Schematic for a 1626 Darling Build of the Clementine

Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby TerrySmith » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:17 am

SWEEET! And I just happen to have a bunch of 6L6 tubes to burn up!
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:12 am

I'm going to batty trying to figure out where you've hidden the rectifier diodes. They must be on the socket side? Looks like a fun project. Didn't have time to take the Edcors out of the boxes? Have you already had a run of boards printed up?
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:12 am

Ty_Bower wrote:I'm going to batty trying to figure out where you've hidden the rectifier diodes. They must be on the socket side? Looks like a fun project. Didn't have time to take the Edcors out of the boxes? Have you already had a run of boards printed up?

Indeed, I put the diodes on the opposite side as well as four power resistors. I was worried the Edcors would be scuffed up on my bench so I left them in the box - kind of funny, isn't it? Yes, I skipped the prototype step and went straight into a small run of boards. Probably price them like the Budgie, i.e. $39 plus $2.75 shipping, and free shipping with multiple boards.

BTW, -1dB bandwidth is 26.5Hz to 24.5kHz and -3dB bandwidth is 14.5Hz to 42kHz. Not bad! Measured this with a 1V output into 8 ohms, or 1/8W.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby TomMcNally » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:49 pm

This should be a fun little board, perfect for a quick build for newbies, or
for gifts, etc. I've built over 25 Darlings, everyone seems to love 'em.
The Euro connectors will make it real nice too. Using the board as a
template before stuffing the parts, as with other diytube boards, makes
it real easy.

... tom

Here's what a handwired amp would look like ...

TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby EWBrown » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:42 pm

Very nice! Nice to see a really well designed compact-sized PC board. The Edcor GXSE15-8-5KOPTs look really familiar. ;) (lol)

Even without having actually held one of these in my hand, I have already figured out an easy way, from a look at the schematic, to make the Clementine into a single channel "floating paraphase" PP amp [:) And, best of all, no etch "surgery" would be needed. O:)

Two boards would be needed for stereo. [:) [:)

I'll post the details of how to do it once, I have actually tried it out.

Hint, it's the same basic approach which I figured out for the G*S*G.

/ed B
Last edited by EWBrown on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Re: First Clementine Post

Postby Ty_Bower » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:07 pm

separks wrote:I used the newer Hammond 269EX... Output transformers are the Edcor GXSE15-8-5K

Hmm... I don't have any surplus transformers laying around (and if you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell). I'm also a big fan of sole sourcing the iron, if for no other reason than to save on shipping costs. What kind of power transformer can I get from Edcor that will be "close enough"? They don't seem to have any 380VCT in their lineup, preferring to go with 360 or 400 volt units. Is it better to err a little on the side of too high a voltage, and burn the extra or idle a little lower? Or should I aim for a slightly low voltage and idle the tubes a little higher to keep dissipation up?

I suppose the correct answer depends on the load I've selected. If I'm not mistaken, the original design was constructed around the Hammond 125E outputs set up for 4K:8 operation. It seems that now we are tending towards slightly higher loads (5K:8), and I'm alright with that. Isn't the general rule of thumb that when you use a higher load, you typically increase the voltage and decrease the current? Yes, I suppose I should draw out the load line and see... and of course, if we're talking about the 6L6 instead of the 1626, that changes things too.

I'm looking at these two power transformers from Edcor:
XPWR165-120/240 $32.46
Power transformer for a 120V or 240V, 50/60Hz. line to 400V (200-0-200) at 50mA center tapped and 12.6V at 2.5A.

XPWR177-0/120/220 $39.53
Power transformer for a 120V and 220V, 50/60Hz. line to 400V at 70mA center tapped and 6.3V at 2.5A center tapped.

And of course, who wouldn't be tempted to try this little output transformer?
GXSE5-8-5.5K $17.22
5W, single ended tube output transformer for 5.5K Ohms to 8 Ohms.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby TomMcNally » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:32 pm

I believe Edcor will make anything you want, custom, for a small
charge ($40), then it stays on their inventory. If you want to think
about that, I'd be happy to pay the one time fee and order a
pair of the new design for future use myself.

I just got a 60 pound Edcor shipment today, plenty of XSE15-8-5K,
my fav!

... tom
Last edited by TomMcNally on Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby TomMcNally » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:44 pm

Let me clarify, it wasn't ALL XSE15-8-5Ks ...

A custom Clementine (Darling version, not Chubby Clementine)
with 120/240 volt primary would be cool too.
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:21 am

Ty, those are the two power transformers I was looking at from Edcor. The first one seems like a customer spec'd that exactly for a Darling amp, IMHO. I would maybe have some 1.2K 1W or better resistors as a spare in case the standard 1K cathode resistors were too high of a bias current. In my current setup, the 1626s are idling at 5W. In a related topic, having 1K bias resistors sure makes measuring current easy - handy for matching. Even on the 12SL7!

The 6L6 build will use a B+ of around 400V. I immediately wanted to use the PA774 as it is easy and cheap to acquire, and Edcor has a clone available. The dual 6.3V taps can be swapped around to be in series for 12.6V tubes, namely the 1625 which is a plentiful WWII JAN tube. I haven't spec'd a power tranny for a tube rectified 6L6 Clementine yet. I would probably recommend using using a coke bottle 5V4 and a 700VCT tranny.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby EWBrown » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:54 pm

And of course, who wouldn't be tempted to try this little output transformer?

GXSE5-8-5.5K $17.22

5W, single ended tube output transformer for 5.5K Ohms to 8 Ohms.

IIRC, Brian Weston stated that these smaller 5W OPTs were good for at least 34 mA primary current, which would be good to go with 1626s (or even 12B4As).

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Geek » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:57 pm

Yeah and that's more I think for magnetic saturation restrictions.... the wire is certainly good for twice that.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby dhuebert » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:44 pm

Sorry, guys. I looked at the schematic and it will never work. It is too simple. Double or triple the parts count and you might have something.

Also I read that cryogenic processes are now necessary for sound perfection.

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Postby Geek » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:48 pm

^^^--- I want a "Like" button for posts like that (lol) ---^^^
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:26 am

Dumb question... is it safe to run a jumper from the "GND" eyelet on the board to the unused center terminal on block J5? I wasn't sure if the space was required to maintain minimum distances on the high voltage traces. It seems like it might be convenient to have the PT center tap easily detached.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Next

Return to clementine