New Year on the Turntable

analog music reproduction discussion

New Year on the Turntable

Postby TomMcNally » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:22 pm

January 1, 2014 ... relaxing at home ... let's listen to some vinyl.

Technics SP-15 >>> diytube Budgie >>> 6SN7 remote controlled preamp >> diytube ST-70 driving 6BG6G's with Heathkit Iron ...
Great sound ... Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Elton John, Peter Frampton, Grateful Dead ... oh look, here's the Beatles White Album,
one of a big pile I snagged at a rock station that went from Vinyl>>CD>>digital.

Hmmm .... censored with a damn cart label. Where's the Goo-Gone?

The scratches add to the charm!

TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Re: New Year on the Turntable

Postby Geek » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:46 pm

AUUUUGH! =:o :'(
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:36 am

TomMcNally wrote:The scratches add to the charm!

If it doesn't skip, scuffs and scratches don't bother me much - especially on rock records. My two most scuffed up records are from County Joe & the Fish, and it's like they have a little extra '60's sprinkled on them. (lol)

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby pmarcin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:26 am

We used to get a discount on records that were cutouts, but that owner carried it a little too far.
pmarcin

Postby 20to20 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:10 am

Shannon Parks wrote:
TomMcNally wrote:The scratches add to the charm!

If it doesn't skip, scuffs and scratches don't bother me much - especially on rock records. My two most scuffed up records are from County Joe & the Fish, and it's like they have a little extra '60's sprinkled on them. (lol)

Shannon

I treated myself to some new vinyl for Christmas. The Zeppelin "Celebration Day" set, the Robert Plant "Band of Joy" double disc, and Fleetwood Mac's new re-release of the self title. That's the only one I'v opened so far. I had been looking for one in better condition than the 2 I have. I put together a collection of all Mac's vinyl stuff going back to the first mono Blue Horizon release. Anyway, I opted for the single LP version. It was also released as a dual 45 rpm set, but I'm glad I got just the single because it was really a nice clean pressing and has fantastic dymanic range. You can really hear the subtlties in Stevie's voice and softer things I'd not heard in the 2 first pressing releases I have. And you can tell they didn't play around much with remixing it. Just a good remasterintg.

Headed for Tishomingo to sing in a can...
20to20
KT88

Return to plastic fantastic lovers