am heading towards vinyl...please stop me, whimper whimper..

analog music reproduction discussion

am heading towards vinyl...please stop me, whimper whimper..

Postby 77seriesIII » Wed May 30, 2012 11:26 am

(lol)

So title says it all and am looking at Sound of Wood, Vinyl Nirvana or a VPI. for those of you who have never left vinyl behind; have you heard of either the Vinyl Nirvana or Sound of Wood TTs?

Thoughts impressions...?

Thanks

./e
77seriesIII

Re: am heading towards vinyl...please stop me, whimper whimp

Postby hawaii.ken » Wed May 30, 2012 1:38 pm

77seriesIII wrote:So title says it all and am looking at Sound of Wood, Vinyl Nirvana or a VPI. for those of you who have never left vinyl behind; have you heard of either the Vinyl Nirvana or Sound of Wood TTs?

Thoughts impressions...?

Before spending megabucks on a vinyl setup, consider starting with a more budget minded setup to see if you like it.
hawaii.ken

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu May 31, 2012 6:36 am

Or start with the money thrown towards the cart (and possibly SUT). Once you find the cart setup you prefer, you can then get the turntable. I just backtracked to an old Japanese belt drive unit that just feels natural for me. It *does* have a great arm, though - a Jelco. But getting the most from my MM carts and now Denon MC was by far the biggest step.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby 77seriesIII » Thu May 31, 2012 7:47 am

Thanks guys, part of the problem I'm having is finding a 220v table that can be converted back to 115v when I return to the US. If I go the route of getting a solid table then rebuilding...it can easily push me just over $1k and that would be cheaper than one of the options I listed above. The issue I am having is I live in Europe and will be returning to the US w/in 2 years. I've spent the last year looking for TT over here in good condition and you just dont see them or they are out there and I'm looking in the wrong spots; a bit frustrating. I'm at the point of getting a purchase and play it immediately option. If you have any hints suggestions, I'll listen.

./e
77seriesIII

Postby EWBrown » Thu May 31, 2012 9:44 am

What you might want to try is a TT with a solid state speed control, rather than synchronous AC motor drive.

Or one which alllows either 50 or 60 Hz operation, by electronic or mechanical means.

Also, a 240/120VAC input voltage selector would be a nice feature, but you could always use a 120 - 240VAC stepup transformer with it, when you get back to CONUS.

Only peripherally related to this, I saw a "cute" 1950s vintage Telefunken portable record player at the local flea market, Seller wanted too much (for my liking) for it, but I've dealt with him before, and he usually drops the price every week until he sells. :/

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to plastic fantastic lovers