Need Some Alignment Help

analog music reproduction discussion

Need Some Alignment Help

Postby skidave » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:41 am

I am having an issue with one of my turntables. I am noticing a distortion on some music with alot of symbols and words that start with S. It has a smeary or distorted sound. I have the tracking force set correctly and I believe I have the anti-skate adjusted correctly. Adding / subtracting more tracking force does not make it any better or worse. I'm hesitant to mess with the anti-skate.

I don't have a full set of alignment tools...so I am looking for some suggestions.

Thanks,

Dave
skidave

Postby Ty_Bower » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:05 am

What kind of turntable?

I learned just about everything I know about my Technics SL-Q2 from here:
http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-al ... tors.shtml

Often, the anti-skate setting is set equal to the tracking force.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby mrED » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:19 am

Dave
It most likely is do to VTA, vertical tracking angle.
You need to raise or lower the tone arm at the mount to find the best point. Most tone arms have this adjustment at the base with either a grub srew or some other means. The cartidge should have a slight downward rake to the stylus. Just keep adjusting and playing some music with those S's untill it is minumized.
One handy trick is to use playing cards as measuring shims in a stack, and that way you can repeat a setting by the number of cards in the stack between the arm and the base.

Ed
mrED

Return to plastic fantastic lovers