Spring clips?

analog music reproduction discussion

Spring clips?

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:47 am

Looking for something I would call a "spring clip". Kind of a hose clamp thingie I would use on a carbon shaft tonearm on either side of a set of steel washers (for the counter balance). I *know* I've seen and used such things before, but for the life of me I am turning up blank via Google. Basically I want a thin clasp wire one (like the thickness of a paper clip). Thoughts? (???)
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Vince » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:37 pm

Sounds like you need a couple of the little clips used on carburetors back 15 years ago. Try a good auto parts store .. NAPA. Vince
Vince

Postby TomMcNally » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:28 pm

You'd be surprised what you can find in the small parts
trays at Ace Hardware ...
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby mesherm » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:48 am

Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:11 am

No, not a hairpin clip. He wants the kind that goes all the way around, maybe a couple times. Then the ends of the clip bend up so you can grab them both and squeeze them. When you squeeze the ends, the clip (almost a spring, really) unwinds a little bit and you can slide it over the shaft. Then you let go, and the thing tightens up and holds on.

Maybe like this, but the whole thing is made of spring wire, not a flat piece of spring steel.

"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:23 am

I'm gonna checkout Ace today - they do have an amazing assortment of items. Need to pick up plumbing supplies, so I can kill two birds with the trip.

Oddly enough, I was researching my Weber kettle grill yesterday afternoon in preparation of a slow roast pork loin (which ended up fantastic, btw) and I remembered that the spring clip on the legs of the kettle grill (holds the ash tray) is where I've encountered this item last. Of course the manual is 100% pictures with no words to identify anything. Still too big and bulky for my purpose, but I thought it was funny the timing of it all. (lol)
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby ChrisK » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:51 am

Ty_Bower wrote:Maybe like this, but the whole thing is made of spring wire, not a flat piece of spring steel.

Maybe we're thinking of tiny hose clamps? They're made out spring steel, and I've seen them in hobby shops. They're used to secure small fuel lines to little two-stroke model airplane engines.

Chris
ChrisK

Postby nyazzip » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:50 pm

if you are resorting to washers, maybe aesthetics aren't a concern? if so, then perhaps you could explore the possibility of drilling holes into the arm, which would open up many more possibilities; set screw retainers come to mind. or, the ultimate "jerry rig", yet least invasive, and, highly tunable solution would be: modeling clay.
when i was a kid we would experiment with bits of modeling clay to adjust the CG on model airplanes or the bouyancy of helium balloons to get 'em to fly right. too heavy? nip off 0.003 grams with your fingernails. too light? press on another globule.
sure it's a bit oily, but..... (lol)
<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

Return to plastic fantastic lovers