Fix a clunker or find reasonably priced vintage turntable?

analog music reproduction discussion

Fix a clunker or find reasonably priced vintage turntable?

Postby Kojak » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:44 am

Any recommendations for a quality 'vintage' (wife would say 'used junk') turntable? Quality sound, few extraneous functions (less to break), durable, able to find parts or parts donors are the features I would like. Is there a less popular but similar sound quality option to the Technics SL-1200's?

I have an old Dual 1009 with a Shure M55E cartridge in it. It has been collecting dust since Nixon lived at 1600 Pennslyvania. I think it's toast, at least for my skills. When powered up, the turntable jumps forward and back slightly- that's the extent of its function. I didn't see any obvious problems nor do I have any idea where to start. Not sure I could tackle this or if it would even be worth the trouble- thus the quest for a replacement. I would like to occasionally play a few LP's and my kids have an interest in vinyl.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Kojak

Re: Fix a clunker or find reasonably priced vintage turntabl

Postby Slartibartfast » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:59 am

Kojak wrote:Any recommendations for a quality 'vintage' (wife would say 'used junk') turntable? Quality sound, few extraneous functions (less to break), durable, able to find parts or parts donors are the features I would like. Is there a less popular but similar sound quality option to the Technics SL-1200's?

I picked up a Technics SL 1700 Turntable. It is well thought of and reasonably priced.

I do not remember what I paid for mine, as I bought it along with a pair speakers and stands.
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby SDS-PAGE » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:40 am

I am a fan of Dual turntables. I have a 1229 that I picked up on eBay for under 100 bucks and it's been working great for me. I don't know about your area, but I always see vintage turntables for sale on Craigslist from $10 - $250. They are anything from Garrards to Thorens.
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby Kojak » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:11 pm

Thanks Guys-

Any thoughts on Dual, Technics, or Thorens models or series to avoid? I am in no rush- I didn't see anything on Nashville Craigslist, but I can also check local estate sales, thrift shops, and perhaps the 'bay.
Kojak

Postby ashok » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:17 pm

Consider some of the Pioneer tables too. I picked up a PL115D (belt-drive) on Craigslist for $35. Changed the cartridge, adjusted the tracking force and anti-skate, and it works very well.

Regards,

Ashok
ashok

Postby erichayes » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:28 pm

The Dual 1000 and, to a slightly lesser extent, the 1200 series, were built with typical German engineering precision. The downside of this, as any owner of German mechanical equipment will tell you, is that they are HORRIBLE to repair. The 1009 and 1019, for instance, had two adjustments that had to be within 1/128" of each other in order for the power switch to work properly.

In general, stay away from any turntable that uses idler wheel drive--as opposed to belt or direct drive--as even rebuilt idlers are getting very expensive and NOS ones are practically nonexistent. That limits you pretty much to Japanese single play tables.

The things to look for are low tonearm mass, low tonearm bearing friction, high platter mass, tonearm balancing technique (positive force vs mass shift), antiskate technique (spring vs fishing weight), mat deadness, and drive method. Cartridges are a different can of worms.

As far as drive types are concerned, a well designed belt drive will trump a mediocre direct drive. I strongly recommend buying from a party who will let you do some hands-on testing (this pretty much rules out eBay), otherwise you're buying a pig in a poke. To check the quality of a direct drive system, remove the platter and turn the motor on. If the motor shaft rotates in a pulsing fashion (known in the biz as "cogging"), thedesign is relying on the platter to act as a flywheel. Obviously, the lower the platter mass, the less flywheel action available. If, on the other hand, the motor shaft runs smoothly and rapidly, this indicates a servo control system is being used to regulate the platter speed--a good thing.

If you'd like, you can pmail me your phone number and a good time to call. I'd be more than happy to walk you through all the stuff to look (and watch out) for in buying a used turntable.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby Kojak » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:25 pm

Perhaps there is hope for the 1009?

Eric, I'll send a PM.

Thanks again, guys- Ed
Kojak

Postby SDS-PAGE » Sun May 04, 2008 10:33 pm

Here a link to Dual turntable references:

http://www.dual-reference.com/tableinx.htm

I didn't know this, but apparently they are pretty popular for stereo systems in boats.
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby GrooveGrinder » Tue May 20, 2008 2:02 am

You can't go wrong with an AR..
Any vintage/model.

Simple as dirt, and far far better sounding than
they have any right to be.
Cheap as dirt too (usually).

There's always a handful on ebay.

Lots of mod/improvement potential too..
From mild to all-out nearly world-class.
Start out cheap, then see if you want to upgrade
a chunk at a time..... or not.
Many don't.
Don't feel the need to.

Any old table will need servicing.
The ARs couldn't be simpler to bring up to spec
...easy as pie to make 'em sing!

Go here for everything you need and need to
know: http://www.vinylnirvana.com

And here for anything else, and a BB just like
this one, where folks are real friendly and helpful,
like on here:http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=34

You won't regret checking out the AR option.

Greg
GrooveGrinder

Postby oilman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:16 am

I have an have had quite a few TT's. But I'm not an expert.

If theres a thrift store localy try and get them to put you on a call list. Most won't. But it does not hurt to ask. Friends and I have scored good with thrift stores. Thorens, Empire etc for under $10 bucks usualy.

I have whats considered to be great TT's. But what I usualy use is a lowly Hitatchi PS-48. Its direct drive with pitch control. Nice simple control layout with manual start. But it has no virtical tone arm hieght adjustment. Something to look for and have if you want to mess about with different stili/cartridges. Of course you can always do what I do. Add or subtract mats.
oilman

Postby Kojak » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:18 pm

Thanks again guys for the input. Been a while since I posted on this one. I have the Dual operating mechanically, but I'm not getting a signal on the output. Maybe the holidays will be a good time to work on it. Will keep a look out for the AR's as well. Since I'm in no hurry, I'll keep my eyes peeled at thrift stores, garage sales, etc.
Kojak

Return to plastic fantastic lovers