Vinyl Cool Again

analog music reproduction discussion

Postby ecir38 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:24 pm

I have a Sl-1200 too with a denon 103R that I am happy. I just recieved an older Sl-1600 MKII yesterday :) . This nice thing about this table is it is fully automatic, has the same tonearm as the SL1200, quartz direct drive motor and is a suspended type table. Caution that this is an older table that may be harder to get parts on and work on as Tom states.

There is a guy with the moniker of ScottRT at the vinyl asylum that does work on and offer feedback on this table.
ecir38

a lucky goof...

Postby EWBrown » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:45 pm

I heard on the radio news last month (while down in NC) that there was a "big box" store in Washington state, which ordered a large quantity of an REM CD, but due to a fumbled digit, they received several thousand copies of the album on LP format, rather than CD. :o Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03

Well, it turned out to be a fortuitous accident, the LPs sold like hotcakes, and the store started carrying and selling even more LPs and turntables.
Vinyl isn't final, it's still alive! Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Re: a lucky goof...

Postby DerekVa » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:22 pm

EWBrown wrote:I heard on the radio news last month (while down in NC) that there was a "big box" store in Washington state, which ordered a large quantity of an REM CD, but due to a fumbled digit, they received several thousand copies of the album on LP format, rather than CD. :o Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03

Well, it turned out to be a fortuitous accident, the LPs sold like hotcakes, and the store started carrying and selling even more LPs and turntables.
Vinyl isn't final, it's still alive! Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03

/ed B

Actually, it was a store in Oregon - specifically Fred Meyer (which is an Oregon & Washington chain akin to Target). The good news is that they are carrying vinyl now - especially online. The bad news is that their in-store stock is pretty piss-poor. However, either way, it is yet another source of vinyl, which is a good thing.

-D
DerekVa

Re: a lucky goof...

Postby ecir38 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:34 pm

My local Times Picayune ran pretty much the same story as this link recently.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/06/09/ ... bvinyl.php
ecir38

oh my aching back....

Postby EWBrown » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:38 pm

I recently packed up my entire LP collection, it filled up four 12.5X 12.5X 16.5 inch shipping boxes, which averaged 62 pounds each. And that was after I picked out all the "dogs" that were not worthy of keeping...

At least it isn't 700 pounds (or 1.75 mothers-in-law equivalent weight) of transformers... The LPs come out to 0.625MiL in weight Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04

/ed B in a state of constant flux

Speaking of Mothers in Law...

What is the difference between a battery and a MiL?

A Battery has a Positive side.

Re-arrange the letters in "mother in law" and it spells:

"hitler woman"

And then one can re-arrange the letters in "courtesan" but I won't post the result here... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_02

hmmm.........
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby coop402 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:33 pm

I have built the Rozenblit phono preamp from the "audio reality" book.
Cool looking tube deal, but so-so performance.

I have to say. The best phono preamp I own is:
Hagermann technologies bugles.
http://www.hagtech.com/bugle.html

The kit is so cheap, you really need to try it.
Yes, I know it has no tubes.....But this thing is great.

I have had over 15 turntables in 3 years.
Everyone goes on and on about belt driven, but I must say all that I
have left it direct drives.

Yamaha PX-3 Linear tracker
JVC Direct Drive with an Infinity Black Widow Tonearm.
Original Technics SL1200,
and a Pioneer 707

These tables never have failed me.
I used to spend a lot of time on my belt drives, but no more.

It is possible that others may have a better ear....
Your mileage may vary. But I love my turntables.

Indie music has always been on vinyl. Look at Sub Pop.
I pick up the latest Mudhoney albums with the cd thrown in there like it was junk. hahhahahahah. You can go on the internet and find the digital version of something, typically before it was released to the public. Sad but true. It completely devalues the offering.

Look at mp3search.ru Russian sites are giving away everything. That is even if you want to pay at all.

Bummer is, even if you buy cd's. The photos and liner notes are small. The art is lost. Kids have wised up, lately.
coop402

Previous

Return to plastic fantastic lovers