Why you shouldn't buy a turntable on eBay

analog music reproduction discussion

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:53 am

It was listed as a Technics SL1200 MKII as-is for a $90 BIN. Luckily, I was fully prepared for the worst when I clicked the BIN button, figuring it would be worth it just to see one of these classics in person. Hehe - aside from the dustcover being shattered like a bomb went off, the tank fired up after a good cleaning. The styrofoam balls were nested even deep inside the unit.

Other probs:
- the cueing arm is gone
- the cueing lamp is out
- no headshell
- no rubber mat
- no 45 adapter

I have plenty of compatible headshells, and used the mat and adapter from the Pioneer PL-10 I savaged. I think I'll use it a while before I consider putiing any money in a new cover and the cueing issues. Cool thing is, though, that I just cue it by placing the needle on the record and hit the start button. Zero to 33 1/3 in about a second. :) All in all, a very impressive piece of audio engineering. The direct drive design is insane.

Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:33 pm

Could have been worse:

Yep - that is an 866A in the photo. The one behind it broke; spewing Hg all over the unit. UPS dropped it with such force that the Hum/Buck Choke (UTC LS-92) and a huge oil filled heater tranny bent the chassis, and crushed the tubes in between them.
Once I realized the unit was damaged and that the dumbass seller left the tubes in; I immediately took the unit outside. I acquired about 1.5lbs of powdered sulfur and coated everything.
SteveH
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:42 pm

:o
UPS must've taken a sledge hammer to that amp. FedEx all the way for audio shipments.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Geek » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:55 pm

How does UPS stay in business being so incompetent?
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby TomMcNally » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:17 pm

Let's not blame UPS for poor packing.

You can't blame them when you ship a poorly
made piece of crap with 50 pounds of transformers
on a thin aluminum chassis. Same with the
turntable ... had it been packed properly, it
would have arrived safely.

That's one of the problems with eBay as opposed
to local swapping ... things don't ship well,
especially when they aren't in their original
packing.
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

UPS Gorilla's

Postby hilldweller » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:24 pm

TomMcNally wrote:Let's not blame UPS for poor packing.

You can't blame them when you ship a poorly
made piece of crap with 50 pounds of transformers
on a thin aluminum chassis. Same with the
turntable ... had it been packed properly, it
would have arrived safely.

That's one of the problems with eBay as opposed
to local swapping ... things don't ship well,
especially when they aren't in their original
packing.

FYI,
United Parcel Smashers, (UPS) Loads their trucks with open sided conveyors. If something is on the edge, It will drop 10 feet or more in some depots. FedEx on the other hand, Hand carry's these types of items. And that is why you here good things about FedEx. (NO I Don't work for FedEx!!!) Part of my job duties is shipping clerk. I have seen some unblievable dammage to things sen't UPS. And trying to get paid on a damage claim is an annoying chore! You have to be VERY Persistant in resolving a damage claim with United Parcel Smashers. :purplex:
Analog is Real! Experience it!
Digital leads to trans humanism. Not good.
hilldweller
KT88

Postby wiredbecker » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:54 am

Ouch. That's one fine direct drive turntable you have there though. Supposedly it is a very easily modified unit although I haven't done any research. I run both of mine stock into a mixer, cheapo power amp and out into Heresy IIs! Love the 1200s
wiredbecker
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:36 am

wiredbecker wrote:Ouch. That's one fine direct drive turntable you have there though. Supposedly it is a very easily modified unit although I haven't done any research. I run both of mine stock into a mixer, cheapo power amp and out into Heresy IIs! Love the 1200s

These 1200s are really an amazing piece of technology. I had to 'peer into its guts' to clean out the Styrofoam balls, and was very impressed by the whole platter/DD system. The whole durability issue has been made clear for me, though. Even after a lickin', she keeps on tickin' (at 33 1/3 that is). For $90, I'm quite happy - busted lid and all. The heavier arm mates perfect with some of the early stereo carts I like, like the Pickering U38. The VTA control really helps out adjusting those dinosaurs, too.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby wiredbecker » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:43 pm

separks wrote:The heavier arm mates perfect with some of the early stereo carts I like, like the Pickering U38. The VTA control really helps out adjusting those dinosaurs, too.

Oh good to know, I have a Pickering that I got for my dad's Garrard that just won't fit (not enough clearance). The 1200s have that rotating adjustment in the tonearm base allowing you to use just about any old cart. Now why didn't I think of that. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_07
wiredbecker
KT88

Postby Slartibartfast » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:40 pm

I have an SL1700 that I bought from a guy who sells vintage audio gear in N.C. Including him, I am only the third owner. I received the turntable, manual, in its original box.
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:57 am

I have the opposite situation.... Most folks will "cuss me out" because it takes a lot of major effort to unpack most of my shipped items Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03

Even Houdini would get frustrated. (except he was better at getting out, rather than breaking in)

One of my recent shipments (a large and somewhat rare glass insulator) , I literraly quadruple-boxed the item, with lots of foam and bubble wrap padding, and about a whole roll of packing tape. It could have literally been dropped from 40,000 feet and still survuved unblemished . I told the recipient ahead of time, to get his box cutters, bandaids and a fifth of his favorite adult beverage ready for the task. :o Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby henrygrik » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi,
With time eBay has make the shipping more good and fine. They have started caring about the shipping. But always try to buy a new product rather than second hand items. New one comes with the company packing.
henrygrik

Return to plastic fantastic lovers