LP cleaning solution idea

analog music reproduction discussion

LP cleaning solution idea

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:24 pm

Disclaimer :o
I think I have a small discovery that bears some research, and I thought I'd share with the DIYers that would like to try this. But it may end up having little or no value, and may destroy your records. Hence the research part. END DISCLAIMER

OK. We have an anti-static liquid that I use at work. I usually use it in a spray bottle, but it also is mixed with wax and put on the floor of our production facility and lab. Alas, the anti-static active ingredient is not on the label. One day, I noticed that it had a familiar smell. After a little brain racking, I remembered it - it was the smell of Bactine. Googling Bactine, I end up with the ingredient, benzalkonium chloride, a biocide that works great at killing little critters, such as the fungi that likes to eat plastic records.

Wait a sec - antistatic and antifungal? Sounds like a great combo for protecting records. I see possibly an aversion to surfactants. And what about residue? Luckily, it can be bought without adjuncts and diluted down greatly with water, and still maintain its properties. Food for thought.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Geek » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:10 pm

Hi,

Sounds like something to get scientific with on a test record. You could have found a niche use of something made for an entirely different purpose. Sometimes that can make people a good living :)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby erichayes » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:58 pm

Sounds like a trip to the local Vinnie's or Sally Ann thrift store might be in order. Don't want to put your library at risk, y'know . . .

Assuming I get my sight back next week, I'll start doing some testing myself.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:07 am

FWIW, I already have tested straight CVS-branded generic Bactine with poor results. as it left a residue. Just too much goop in there I figure.

Here's the cheapest online reseller of the stuff:
http://www.macgill.com/productDetail.as ... uct=D35100

8oz bottle would be handy and what about those towelettes? Not sure what concentration the liquid comes at, but it looks like a 1:750 solution would work great.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby EWBrown » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:10 am

I'm sure that the "medical" bactine spray is thicker and stickier than desired for record protestion. It has to stick to and stay on the skin, and it builds up a pretty thick layer. Maybe spraying some into some 91% isopropyl or denatured alcohol might work, or use "Everclear" 180+ proof, if its available in your area. (just think of it as legal moonshine) Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09

Sounds like you may have something here...

/ed B inNH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby kheper » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:48 pm

Remember 'Discwasher D4'? It came in
a 1.25 oz. bottle and went for like $10(?)
a bottle.

It was just distilled water. I have been using
distilled water with good results. Do not use
tap water as it contains too many ions.
kheper
KT88

Postby SDS-PAGE » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:02 pm

Someone figure out what chemical composition works the best and I can make it for you. My lab is "the chem stock room" in my department. All my reagents are HPLC grade(purest possible), including dH2O. Besides, I always orders stuff that I don't have from Sigma Aldrich and Fisher Sci. It has to be things that my lab can use though...it's USDA's money, in other words, tax-payer money (your money). Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_07
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby erichayes » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:22 pm

http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... t=stearate

Another forgotten one. Had to use "stearate" to find it. Do your thing, Shannon, to mesh it in.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Return to plastic fantastic lovers