Anti-Skate Adjustment

analog music reproduction discussion

Postby nineno » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:25 pm

separks wrote:I actually just grabbed Prince's Purple Rain Laserdisc from eBay, after getting the LD idea from the AudioKarma thread. Almost grabbed a Star Trek one, but Prince seemed more fitting. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03

$6 shipped. Cheap turntable gadget!

Well, I couldn't resist. I broke down and bought a copy of Mermaid with Cher (et al) and I contacted Eric about an LD adaptor so I could play along with this experiment.

For anyone else with access to a lathe:

drew*
nineno

When Doves Cry....

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:45 am

Just eyeballed the centering. Hey - this works great!

Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby EWBrown » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:16 am

cool looking photo, I like the rainbow effect...

I guess eyeballing that one works out well, it appears to be the same diameter as the platter. No "weeble-wobble"...

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby wiredbecker » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:49 pm

I'm too busy fawning over that Thorens turntable. Such an elegant design.
wiredbecker
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:23 am

Just brainstorming here, gentlemen. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09
More stoopid laserdisc ideas:

- Leave it under the rubber disc mat. Adds 7oz of evenly distributed weight to the platter if your sub-chassis could handle it, and always there for anti-skate adjustments.

- Stack and epoxy several for a DIY platter (once again - mine measures 7oz). Labels would have to be removed - I think a Cascade solution would work well, as it did on metallic Sam Adams labels in my homebrewing days. The outside diameter would end up with belt tracking grooves, too.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby EWBrown » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:49 am

If the LaserDisk labelis paper, just sprau it with WD-40 and let it soak in, that should diss9olve the glue and make it easy to remove and clean up the residual "spooge"... :o The citrus based "goo-gone" or "goof-off" "should also work,it does very well in removeing aggressive price sticker adhesives.

I remember seeing on E-bay a few years ago, someone was selling cheap "Hemingray 42" glass insulators to which was cemented a thick rubber base, with a hole in the center. He touted these as "record clamps" and was getting quite a hefty bit of $$ for these.

The Hemingray-42 is probably the singular most common glass insulator ever produced, and is worth about 25 cents at most ;-)

The rubber and glue adds another 25 cents, and he was getting a pretty good ROI on that deal...

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Blank Vinyl

Postby leadtower » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:10 pm

I just thought I remmembered n older Johnny Winter album that was three-sided; and sure enough it's Second Winter. One side is blank of the two lps. I thought I might post since it is probably really cheap to buy used. Not to mention some real good music on the other three sides.
leadtower

Previous

Return to plastic fantastic lovers