Vinyl Lovers: Dirty Records

analog music reproduction discussion

Postby dhuebert » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:26 am

I work in a dialysis unit here in Winterpeg and over the years I have done much water testing and RO maintenance. Two things to remember about treated water are that it is extremely aggressive (Eric already said this) and it WILL grow stuff. It will leach chemicals from most types of plastic and will actually damage PVC and ABS. It will eat copper. This is because of the 105 degree angle between the hydrogens, this makes the molecule like a bar magnet and very attractive to anything with an unsatisfied bond. In air it picks up carbon dioxide very quickly and becomes acidic as well. It will grab anything it can to neutralize the magnet. Why anyone would want to drink this stuff I don't know! (Calcium from bones, magnesium and potasium from the blood)

The other thing to remember is that without anything to suppress the proliferation of bacterial and algal growth the water will start growing stuff right away. We sterilize our water treatment systems every six months not because we have nothing better to do but because they need it. I could show you water lines that are bright green with algae or bright pink with flourescent bateria. People died in Walkerton Ontario because the chlorine sytem failed. The dirtiest place in most peoples homes is not the toilet or the kitchen sink but the oft used water bottle.

Yada, yada, yada. Having said that, I really appreciate Eric sharing his knowledge with us. I remember working in a TV station years ago and being told UNDER NO CIRCUSTANCES use rubbing alcohol to clean anything.

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:02 pm

Dirty Records, brings to mind a couple of old scratchy blues LPs I have:

"Them Ol' Dirty Blues" and "Copulatin' Blues" :$ ;) (lol) The music is late 1930s vintage, maybe pre-WWII at the latest, and were very risque' for that era. :$

I also have them on CD, but the sound quality is still "scratchy LP" at best, these were probably copied off old 78s or LPs, and are definitely NOT from any master tapes. [:)

/ed B
Last edited by EWBrown on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby hayseed » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:21 am

I just use wood glue, how low brow is that?
hayseed

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:57 am

Wow, Hayseed. I had never heard of this:
http://www.cratekings.com/clean-records ... -facelift/

The best method I've found for me (which draws shudders just the same):
1) 90% isopropyl alcohol with a cotton ball wipe down, then air dry
2) Carbon fiber brush

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby hayseed » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:00 pm

I picked up the method from the crazies at audio karma, I use Elmers white glue because it's cheaper.

I was a skeptic so I tried it on a ten cent special. The draw back is waiting a month of sundays for the glue to dry.
hayseed

Previous

Return to plastic fantastic lovers