Vinyl Lovers: Inexpensive Phono Cartridge

analog music reproduction discussion

Vinyl Lovers: Inexpensive Phono Cartridge

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:42 am

Just an FYI for those of you still spinning your vinyl, that Amazon has the Shure M97xE catridges for very cheap right now: $65.68 with free shipping. Comes in a great metal case with protractor, screwdriver, screws, etc. Nice package. I personally prefer the flat response. Though it may not track as well on the inner grooves as the V15 series (or maybe I need to reset it), I think it still sounds better than 90% of the others out there. And for the price, you won't be paranoid to use it. Huge improvement over any sub $100 cart. I like Grados, but knowingly picking out a presorted 'dud' - due to their sorting and grading practice - kind of bugs me.

BTW, when I saw the price I contacted Shure to see if they were discontinuing the product. Here's their reply:

Shure wrote:Hey Shannon-

I'm sorry it took so long for us to get back to you. Your original email was sent to our Press Department.

We are not discontinuing the M97xE. We have not discounted the dealer cost so if you've found it for less then it's the retailers choice to discount them. Rest assure we will be making the M97xE for many years to come.

Take care, Brian Jarvis
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Shure M 97's

Postby leadtower » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:18 pm

Excellent advice; the Shure is a great cart. I used a little crazy glue on a toothpick and cemented the stylus to the body on mine. I think it sounded noticeably better and best of all it tracked the highs better. Good link.
leadtower

Sorry, I'm a Denon whore

Postby DerekVa » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:43 pm

I'm all about the DL103 / DL103R (OK, I admit it, I have a DL110 on my Rega table, but that's in the home theater system).

That sounds like a very good deal on the Shure cart! Definitely money better spent than the money I once spent on a Rega Elys. Talk about your crap cartridges!

-Derek
DerekVa

more budget cart talk

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:54 am

ThoseDenons seem pretty interesting. The comments regarding them made me think of Micro Acoutic cartridges for some reason. My uncle has been searching for a good substitute for the Micro Acoutic 'sound' but hasn't found it yet.

My Ortofon OM10 - another budget cartridge - has poor sibilant performance. Poor sibilant reproduction seems to be my biggest cartridge gripe - making it unlistenable for me. That scares me off from the AT carts, too.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Denon DL 103

Postby leadtower » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:55 pm

I have a 103. Some people like the 103 better than the 103R. The 103 needs a head amp as I am sure you know. The 103 has a nice smooth sound with good detail. I think it does have a more musical presentation than the less expensive MM carts. It tracks nicely; not as good in the HF on the HFNARR test disc as the Shure but close. What I would really like to hear is someones opinion of the Denon DL 301.
leadtower

Try the Vinyl Asylum

Postby DerekVa » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:35 pm

A few folks there are running the DL304 (I'm assuming that's what you meant, not the 301). I seem to recall the consensus is that if you are going to spend the money to buy a DL301, you may just want to get a Shelter 501 instead for a bit more. The DL103 / 103R / 103D (if you are lucky enough to find one) is the sweet spot in the Denon line. On the other hand, if you have a lightweight arm (e.g. Black Widow, ADC, etc.), or a mismatched set of SUTs, the Denon will sound like shit. Synergy is the key...like everything else in audio. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06

-Derek
DerekVa

Thanks For The Reply

Postby leadtower » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:31 pm

I haven't heard the DL 304 but there is a listing for a 301 on Audio-cubes that runs about 250$. I run Denon's because i have an Ittok high mass arm and they work well with the table. The Shelter is getting some flack in the alternative press for whatever that is worth; have you listened and thought about it? I would like to hear your opinion on it. Hi output MC's seem bright to me; the Shelter is a HOMC I believe?
Since you were kind enough to reply can i ask do you know of a cartridge re-building service?
Oh; I would probably stick with the DL 103 unless I could find a Empire 110 new. Then it's a different story. I ask because I'm due for a new cart. Thanks much for your help.
leadtower

I've never had to retip...sorry

Postby DerekVa » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:51 pm

However, I've heard that Garrott Bros. in Australia and Van Den Hul in the Netherlands are both quite good.

-Derek
DerekVa

Cartridge re-building

Postby leadtower » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:33 am

Yes absolutely. Van Denhul has gotten loder and they say he can no longer do the quality of the work he once did. I am not saying that because I don't know, I am just repeating what I heard. Hope it is not spurious rumor. Garrott Bros will take older carts but they tell you upfront they feel it is too expensive to work on certain units and cost more than a new cart. Then they offer a Garrott cartridge as an example. I don't know how they sound but with shipping and the fee it is expensive to get work done. I was wondering if there are any new people on the scene. Thanks Very much for your input. Have you tried this at all?
leadtower

Postby DerekVa » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:59 pm

No. Haven't needed to. The only cartridge I've dorked was a Rega and wasn't worth repairing.
DerekVa

Return to plastic fantastic lovers